Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Possible George Dickel Rye?

Perhaps they can. I just happen to have talked to Harlen about it. And I have trouble imagining Jimmy Russell monitoring data points on an iPad at the airport in Singapore. He has people to do that.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I know it is common in modern brewing. I have read that the Hofbrauhaus in Newport, KY has its operations monitored online from the head office in Munich. Maybe that is why the beer is so good.

Gary

Connoisseur

Possible George Dickel Rye?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I know it is common in modern brewing. I have read that the Hofbrauhaus in Newport, KY has its operations monitored online from the head office in Munich. Maybe that is why the beer is so good.

Gary
    I do quite a bit of doing my own monitoring of the beer at Hofbrauhaus in person. 😄

Mike

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Excellent, and wish I could join you on one of those sessions! I had a visit planned for April but finally we decided to fly into Louisville (vs. Cincinnati) so we won't get up there.

However, the Louisville beer scene is not without interest and this time I want to get out to Albanian.

Gary

Disciple

The ultimate thread drift...and something I forgot to mention to you earlier Gary...a brand new Hofbrauhaus is opening 1/22/13 (already delayed from November) just a few miles from my house and O'Hare airport in Rosemont Il. This will be their fourth in the states and there is some franchise agreement with an entity known as the Windy City Group for this new one.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    The ultimate thread drift...and something I forgot to mention to you earlier Gary...a brand new Hofbrauhaus is opening 1/22/13 (already delayed from November) just a few miles from my house and O'Hare airport in Rosemont Il. This will be their fourth in the states and there is some franchise agreement with an entity known as the Windy City Group for this new one.

We (me included) have drifted a bit off the subject at hand we need to get back to it. If we wish to continue this conversation lets start a new thread.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    Taste alone is no way to judge a whiskey. It has to have the right resume/pedigree. I would have been much happier to see this whiskey come out of Dickel than LDI.
    Really? Wow!

Taste is the only thing that really matters to me. I don't care if Coca Cola made it...
    I like this new rye.

I think what Lazer means is that we've already had plenty of iterations of the MGPI rye, albeit this one is charcoal filtered between barrel and bottle, which is new. I too would love to see how John Lunn would make a rye from scratch in Tullahoma.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I think what Lazer means is that we've already had plenty of iterations of the MGPI rye, albeit this one is charcoal filtered between barrel and bottle, which is new. I too would love to see how John Lunn would make a rye from scratch in Tullahoma.
    Thanks. And I wondered if he meant it in a humorous or wry way. I am interested in the heritage of my beverages and I do give extra points for truly unique ones. But from my one sample of the Dickel Rye it is clear that it is very different from anything else I have tasted. The more I taste different bourbons and ryes the more aware I am that it is the barrel aging and other important processes (like the charcoal filtering) that really affect the eventual taste of the spirit. For the price the Dickel is a clear winner for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Excellent, and wish I could join you on one of those sessions! I had a visit planned for April but finally we decided to fly into Louisville (vs. Cincinnati) so we won't get up there.

However, the Louisville beer scene is not without interest and this time I want to get out to Albanian.

Gary
    You should also go see my friend Leah Dienes at Apocalypse Brew Works.