Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Bourbon Serving Temperature?

What temp do you all like to drink your bourbon at? I like mine just a bit north of wine cellar temp, in the 65 range. Since the house and whiskey cabinet is kept around 75 in the summer, what do you use to chill down your Bourbon? For the cask strength stuff I usually use a bit of chilled water or a tiny ice cube. For the 100 proof and lower stuff a few minutes of freezer time with the Glencairn seems to work well. Not a fan of the whiskey stones.

What say you?

Advanced Taster

Re: Bourbon Serving Temperature?

I drink mine at room temp which depending on the time of year and if it is being stored in my upstairs or downstairs cabinet is between 65 and 75. I never chill whiskey I am drinking neat.
    Jim

I drink it neat at room temp.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Virtuoso

I drink normally neat at room temp. If I am going to be outside and it is hot out I will pour the bourbon into a Glencairn glass and put it in the freezer for 15 minutes or so and then drop one of those frozen stone cubes in the drink.

Best regards, Tony

Disciple

I typically drink it neat at room temperature, whatever room temperature happens to be at that time, so probably usually 69-75ish.

Connoisseur

I really enjoy drinking whisk(e)y when it's around a 60-65 temp. One of the few benefits of winter is that I can sit in my hot tub and drink with the outside temperature cooling my glass to the perfect temperature.

Connoisseur

A/C is set at 80 at my house, so an ice chip or two cools it down to drinking temperature well enough for me. Nothing worse than trying to cool off on a hot day with hot liquor.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    A/C is set at 80 at my house, so an ice chip or two cools it down to drinking temperature well enough for me. Nothing worse than trying to cool off on a hot day with hot liquor.
    Agreed!

I grew up in and now live in Massachusetts, and don't use A/C during the summer except in the most awful heat waves -- I'm much more of a fresh-air-and-open-windows type.

In summer I'm usually drinking mid-shelf bourbon, with a cube or rocks. I like my drink cool.

In winter, I more often have my bourbon without ice, and ice doesn't really work with single-malt.

I like a nice chilled manhattan any time of the year.

Guru

Room temp, 67 degrees year 'round. Man, some of you guys keep your houses pretty warm.

I hate the heat and I figure if I have to work outside in it I sure ain't gonna come home and sweat.

When it's real hot, like it had been much of this Summer, I just don't feel like drinking much. When I do it's G & T or once in a while An Irish, like Jamison on the rocks. That's the only time I drink any whiskey with ice.

Bourbon and rye are dulled too much by being served cold. And bourbon seems decidedly less sweet when served cold.

That said, I do like an old fashioned which contains only enough water to dissolve the sugar and whatever water melts from the ice. But somehow it doesn't suffer because of the serving temp.

Enthusiast

In summer time, I prefer adding a single ice cube to my bourbon or sometimes pouring the stuff on the rocks. In cooler days and in winter, I mostly drink neat.
    Regards,