Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New from Indianapolis

Hello All,
    I'm a new member to straight bourbon, but have often read posts on the site in the past. I just never got around to joining. I manage a liquor store (I will leave out the name of the chain, I'm not here to try to sell anything) in the Indianapolis area. I've been into bourbon for quite a few years now, and have never ceased to find new and interesting things. I do have quite a few industry connections so if anyone is looking for information, please let me know. If I am not already familiar with the question that you have, I can almost certainly find out. That being said, the likelihood of getting you to the front of the list for Van Winkle or some other release is practically zero. I don't even buy rare or allocated items for myself from our stores (this goes for beer, wine, and other spirits as well.) Those items are meant for our regular customers, and I hope that wherever you are you have a relationship with a local store that allows you access to the products that you are interested in.
    My favorite fairly well known bourbon is George T. Stagg, but I'm always looking to try something new. I like collecting and drinking various Four Roses recipe's and releases (latest acquisition OESF), as well as Willett Family Estate. Pretty much anything that is barrel proof, regardless of recipe, somehow ends up finding it's way into my personal liquor cabinet. I am continually amazed by the variation in barrels, and hope that when I go to select barrels for our chain, I am not just buying whiskeys that are crowd pleasers, but also offer something different and unique. I am also into craft beer, and other forms of whiskey. However, bourbon is my true passion in life.
    So, in any case, here I am. It's good to find like minded enthusiasts, and I look forward to much conversation and debate.

Ben

Virtuoso

Re: New from Indianapolis

hey Ben....

Glad you joined.

How'd you like that OWA sample I left for ya?

I have a lot of 4 roses single barrel selections. Perhaps someday you need to come over and rummage through the closet.

Enjoy your time here...
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Virtuoso

Howdy Ben and welcome from up in Michigan. Glad to have you here.

Best regards, Tony

Disciple

Welcome from a former Pendleton resident (outside the walls).

OWA was spectacular, don't be surprised if you see something of similar origin on the shelves soon.

Also, I brought my black maple hill 16 into work for you to compare. I don't think mine is the same as yours.

Virtuoso

I'll see you tomorrow.... I need more beer.
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Guru

Welcome! Originally from the Northside of Indianapolis myself, and I have probably visited one or more of your stores on occasion. If it's the one I'm thinking of, keep up the good work.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur
    Howdy Ben. The Birdman told me all about ya and I'm glad you joined the site. I live up on the North side in Noblesville on the edge of Fishers. There are a few of us Indy guys on here and I imagine they'll drop in and say hello.

I have a few good friendships with a couple of managers in the chain you work for. All great people and do their best to help me out.

Hopefully we can all get together soon for an Indy bourbon sampling/meet and greet and get better acquainted.

Enjoy the site!
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Agreed, it would be good to meet some of you guys...

Taster

From a fellow Indy resident, welcome home! This site is a wonderful wealth of information. I too would like to meet you guys at some point for sharing some good company with some good whiskey. And I hear ya on the barrel proof offerings. I am quite the sucker for those, with the 5 year Willett ryes floating around being my most recent obsession.