Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Disciple

Goose Island Hits Georgia

http://beerstreetjournal.com/goose-i...eptember-13th/

The three beers that are released initially are the Sophie, Matilda, and Pere Jacques. Has anyone had these before?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Virtuoso

Re: Goose Island Hits Georgia

Pere Jacques is good. Not a fan of the other two.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I just read this weekend where A-B Inbev just put in one of their executives to run Goose Island. The former CEO has stepped aside to create a "Craft Advisory Board". Everybody keep your fingers crossed.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I just read this weekend where A-B Inbev just put in one of their executives to run Goose Island. The former CEO has stepped aside to create a "Craft Advisory Board". Everybody keep your fingers crossed.
    I suspect it is too late for that. A-B InBev seems to have the midas touch when it comes to profits but the "anti" midas touch when it comes to beer, at least when it comes to the US market where it seems to turn everything sold in the US into a Budweiser clone.

The list of what they have their fingers into is pretty extensive. If it is not made outside the US I am inclined to not bother with it. Beck's and Bass sold in the US for example are now made here and seem to be the worse for it unless you can find the European made version.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Passing through the store today to pick up the Heavy Seas 2012 Below Decks Barley Wine and there was the Goose Island on the shelf. They had the Matilda, Sofie, Pere Jacques and Pepe Nero available. $11.29 a four pack or $2.99 for a single! So much for an introductory special to build a following. Seems a bit spendy to me.

Goose Island.JPG

I suppose of the four the Pere Jacques is the one of most interest since I enjoy the Westmalle Dubbel that it supposedly is trying to emulate. Might have to break down and give it a try so that I can defame it with first hand knowledge or eat my words about what A-B InBev is doing to craft beer.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I suspect it is too late for that. A-B InBev seems to have the midas touch when it comes to profits but the "anti" midas touch when it comes to beer, at least when it comes to the US market where it seems to turn everything sold in the US into a Budweiser clone.

The list of what they have their fingers into is pretty extensive. If it is not made outside the US I am inclined to not bother with it. Beck's and Bass sold in the US for example are now made here and seem to be the worse for it unless you can find the European made version.
    Let's hope not here, Bruce. I was reading more today regarding the "A-B Craft Advisory Board" I mentioned. A-B InBev's VP of North American Finance was also appointed to that board...That may be telling...

Did I hear right that A-B has already move the brewing of some GI beers to other A-B breweries?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Let's hope not here, Bruce. I was reading more today regarding the "A-B Craft Advisory Board" I mentioned. A-B InBev's VP of North American Finance was also appointed to that board...That may be telling...

Did I hear right that A-B has already move the brewing of some GI beers to other A-B breweries?
    According to this article, the 312 Urban Wheat Ale has already been moved to New York to "free up room" at the Chicago brewery according to the founder who of course has now been kicked upstairs (or out the door?). He claims that it will all come back to Chicago when they build a new facility but that somehow seems unlikely. Two others are now brewed in New Hampshire.

I just have a hard time believing you can do a true "craft" beer on a massive scale, especially in this country and especially with this company. Might have to try that Pere Jacques for myself though just to see.

Another ominous sign.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 11-26-2012 at 15:24.

Advanced Taster

I've had the opposite experience to Clavius. I think the Matilda and Sophie are fantastic examples of Belgian-style American beers, even in the post-AB purchase era. By contrast, I've found Père Jacques to be so-so. I also sampled the Lolita a few months ago and was very pleasantly surprised.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Guru

Decided to pick up the Pere Jacques and give it a trial run. At nearly $3 a bottle it needs to be pretty good to make it worth the cost and since it falls into the Belgian Dubbel category I will throw it up against a Westmalle Dubbel to see how it holds up. Don't know if I will get a chance this evening but if not then hopefully tomorrow night. May pick up a Achel since it is the same ABV or a Rochefort 8 which is a bit stronger to throw into the mix as well. I suppose a fairer comparison might be another US version of a Dubbel like Ommegang Ale so might look for that as well.

Guru

Picked up a few worthy competitors for the GI Pere Jacques and will have a little comparson tonight or tomorrow. 4 of the top 8 dubbels from Beeradvocate. The Pere Jacques weighs in at #18. Now I don't put a ton of stock in these ratings but it is a place to start!

#2 Rochefort 8 - $4.99 for a 330ml
    #5 Ommegang Abbey Ale Belgian style dubbel - $6.99 for a 750ml so about $3.07 for 330ml
    #7 Achel Bruin - $5.39 for a 330ml (spendy little SOB! Then again they are all a bit spendy.)
    #8 Chimay Red - $4.39 for a 330ml

Was looking for the St. Bernardus 8 to have a Belgian but non trappist version but couldn't find it. I have some #4 rated Westmalle Dubbel at home so I may add that. I also have a single bottle of #1 rated Westvleteren 8 but I think I will keep that for another occasion!