Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Virtuoso

Re: Goose Island Hits Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Picked up a few worthy competitors for the GI Pere Jacques and will have a little comparson tonight or tomorrow. 4 of the top 8 dubbels from Beeradvocate. The Pere Jacques weighs in at #18. Now I don't put a ton of stock in these ratings but it is a place to start!

#2 Rochefort 8 - $4.99 for a 330ml
    #5 Ommegang Abbey Ale Belgian style dubbel - $6.99 for a 750ml so about $3.07 for 330ml
    #7 Achel Bruin - $5.39 for a 330ml (spendy little SOB! Then again they are all a bit spendy.)
    #8 Chimay Red - $4.39 for a 330ml

Was looking for the St. Bernardus 8 to have a Belgian but non trappist version but couldn't find it. I have some #4 rated Westmalle Dubbel at home so I may add that. I also have a single bottle of #1 rated Westvleteren 8 but I think I will keep that for another occasion!
    Any Rochefort is a win. Damn good beer.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Any Rochefort is a win. Damn good beer.
    Agreed. The Rochefort 8 is one of my all-time faves. Never fell in love with the Westmalle, though. I think it needs some real age on it to perform at its peak.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dbk View Post
    Agreed. The Rochefort 8 is one of my all-time faves. Never fell in love with the Westmalle, though. I think it needs some real age on it to perform at its peak.
    I plan to test them blind so that I am not overly influenced by the label. I agree that the Rochefort line is superb (and much easier to get than Westvleteren but most things are) and would expect it to win. But I have never tried this group in a blind taste test.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Last night was the blind taste test of the GI Pere Jacques against 3 competitors. I managed to forget to put the newest bottles in the refrigerator (didn't want any of them real cold but was trying to bring them down to Belgian monastery cellar room temperature!) so I ended up with the four selections pictured.

Ommegang Abbey Ale - Belgian dubbel style American ale
    St. Bernardus Prior 8 - Belgian non trappist dubbel (found it already refrigerated on last trip out to get ice and other necessities for the evenings activities)
    Goose Island Pere Jacques - AB InBev's newest entry in the widely distributed "craft" beer market that positions itself as a Belgian dubbel style
    Achel Bruin - Trappist Dubbel

4 different people in addition to myself played along. I set it up so I knew what was what but nobody else did. All poured a reddish brown although the Achel was the darkest of the group. From the picture you can see the GI maintained almost no head whatsoever while the Achel was almost overly exuberant.

The clear winner (5 for 5) was the Achel. The St. Bernardus and the GI were a close second and third (essentially a toss up) while the Ommegang finished in a close fourth. None of the beers was one that would not be bought again by the other tasters. For me the GI was easily fourth. It had the same flavor profile but was much more muted, almost flat. The St. Bernardus was the most different in flavor while the Achel had the best mouthfeel and roasted malt flavor.

I probably won't seek out either the GI or the Ommegang again but the St. Bernardus was a nice ale that is worth future consideration.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 12-02-2012 at 11:19.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum