Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Disciple

What are you drinking, yet AGAIN!!!

You guys know the drill, let fly what is in your glass!!

TomC

Guru

Re: What are you drinking, yet AGAIN!!!

Well, after finishing that bottle of IW Harper 15 yo (80 proof bourbon just doesn't cut it anymore in the least!), I decided to pop the cork on a bottle of Van Winkle 'Special Reserve' 12 yo 'Lot B'. I am really enjoying this bourbon. It fills the mouth with sweet yet varying, complex tastes and finishes nicely with a bit of heat, but good heat. I'd love to pair this up with one of my newly acquired Van Winkle cigar's, but I'll wait to pair them up with the Van Winkle 13yo Rye as I hear they match perfectly...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast

A.H.Hirsh 16yo Reserve and Rock Hill Farms. Two very respected players by you chaps on this forum - who the hell else would I listen to?
    RHF is my choice for absolute Bourbonic perfection - THE blueprint if you will. An amazingly clean, clear taste, smooth finish and so very moreish. The 100 proof is just right and when compared to Wild turkey 101 very "user friendly." In other words I think it is a perfect intro to a higher proof Bourbon than say Wild Turkey 101, or Knob Creek, both of which I've seen scare people off.
    When changing to the Hirsch I notice a little more substance in the mouthfeel, and a taste / finish that reminds me of fresh sea air. Crazy but it's there!

Cheers!

Advanced Taster

last night I had Bulleit for the first time at a local restaurant. I was pleasantly surprised...many at this site have had little good to say about it. I believe it is now being made at Buffalo Trace. The "candy" that i taste in many BT products was there. I would take Buffalo Trace or AAA10yr over this in a heartbeat but it compared favorably to the Dickel 12 I also had...I was encouraged enough that I will buy a bottle of this someday and give it a more thorough evaluation.

Guru

Is it being made by Buffalo Trace? I 'thought' it was made by Four Roses (Seagram's), but I'd like to know for sure now... Bobby, Chuck?

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Both BT and Seagrams are in it's past. When at the Bourbon Festival Sampler in May, I spoke briefly to Tom Bulleit, a real nice guy. He said he is affiliated with Diageo now. This is where we will need Chuck, because I don't know, Did Diageo pick up the Seagrams unit and get Bulleit as well or did they split up at the sale? BTW I have drank Bulleit on 2 occasions, I don't have a bottle yet, but it is on the " To Get" list. I'll drink it again. I had seen some negative comments about it , but it comes over nice for me, It's not real high end and I don't think they are going for that. To me it's a good solid drinker, I don't think you would get out if shape if someone in your party poured a little coke in it. It does however stand good on it's own.
    I've had the pleasure of drinking this at the Talbot in the company of fellow StraightBourbonites.

Guru

Thanks Bobby. During last years trip when the 4 of us were on a tour at Four Roses we had the lucky opportunity to be given a private little tasting of all their products and out came the Bulleit as well. I didn't know about the BT affiliation until now...

Advanced Taster

How is that pronounced exactly? "Bullet" or "Bulleet" or "Bullee-it"? Just curious.....

Thanks,

Troy

Guru

In my mind, it has always been your third alternative, "Bull-ee-it", but there is also no accounting for how people pronounce their names.

Tim

Guru

I've always called it "Bull-ee-it", but have wondered as well if othes say it differently.