Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What are you drinking, yet AGAIN!!!

Thanks Dave for the compliment. I wasn't even trying to line them up, I take most of my shots now with my cell phone for simplicity. It takes poor indoor shots, but it works haha. I must admit, I have finished alot of good bourbon's in the past month; Blantons, Hirsch 16, IW Harper 15, VW 12, Bakers. The Hirsch 20, Stagg, and WT 12 I don't drink from every night so they have been there for a while. Wonder how long this gem will last!

Administrator in exile

Ten High straight up Really livin' on the edge tonight, trying to clear out some space for the upcomming Stagg and BB releases. Check out my tasting notes here. You won't be dissappointed

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

2002 B'Day Bourbon on two rocks. I do like this bourbon. Yum yum.

Administrator in exile

Well, after a couple drinks of Ten High, I was yearning for something more. Armed with a Flor De Olivia robusto I headed out the back door with a hearty pour of Weller 19yo . Wow, what a difference! Lots of vanilla and caramel flavor with a long and enjoyable finish. Better buy all of this you can folks, as it won't be around long.

Disciple

Yummy stuff BP. I am having Four Roses Yellow Label tonight, a nice pleasant little pour, and a decent value price. I think I will pick up more come festival time.

TomC

Disciple

Yep its between $16.50 & $18.50 for WT 101 around here (but still worth it IMHO) and like $22.50 for Russell's Reserve, it makes the decision a whole lot easier!

LOL
    TomC

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I think RR is a few more dollars than that, They also run WT101 for 13 or so from time to time. Can't have too much of either. A little of the Jefferson's I got Last week . I still like this one. This is not Heaven Hill whiskey and if it did come from there, they bought it and did not distil it. Say it came from Barton , Four Roses, BT or even BF and I couldn't argue.

Connoisseur

I'm drinking Weller 12 y.o tonite. This is definitely one of the best values in bourbon...smooth and delicious, with lots of carmel taste, and way less expensive than many other bourbons that I don't enjoy quite as consistently.

Guru

I'd love to play "Guess What I'm Drinking Right Now", with a tip of the hat to a departed member, but I just don't have the chops in the descriptive arena to make it a fair game. Besides, it's a bottling that most of you probably haven't had a chance to try, although you know its relatives (hint) well.

How about we go halvesies? I'll do my best to describe it, and then I'll give you the answer.

It's a special bottling.

At almost two decades, it's older than most (possibly all but one) that bear this lable.

It is totally lacking in any harshness of nose, palate, or finish.

It has a distinctly oily mouth feel that is similar to others of this name, but much more pronounced, if memory serves me correctly.

The nose is distinctly fruity with a modest char/caramel background, the palate leans more to the char/caramel, and then turns to oil of walnut or maybe almond. The oily, nutty taste carries into the finish, accompanied by blackberries, and then it turns dry, demanding another taste in short order.

The price was $75 plus shipping from a prestigious East Coast address.

This is the one I had decided to buy instead of a somewhat similar bottling from Sam's -- until Sam's called my house in my absence, and my wife unknowingly turned what had been an inquiry into a firm order. Now I have both -- and a wife who knows more than I cared to have her know about how I spend my allowance.

It's the 18 year old Van Winkle Family Reserve from Park Avenue Liquor. If there's a better bourbon than this, whether my 20 year Sam's special bottling or either of the two Hirsches, I can't remember how at this moment. To hell with the blindfold and the last cigarette -- I want to expire immediately after a swallow of this magnificent bourbon. (Actually, make that a couple of glasses. A single swallow simply isn't enough to experience all this bourbon has to offer.)

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Virtuoso

I am back home in NC now and have my full arsenal at my disposal. During my recent weeks in KY, I became quite fond of ORVW 12 yo so it was my happy hour pour today. Then I topped dinner off with the ORVW from Woodside Partners - I hadn't had this in a while and wanted to tap into it again.

I only had a shot of each (half my normal pour), so I am about to go back to the liquor cabinet and pick out my nightcap. I just picked up my first bottle of Ezra Brooks SB 15 yo last week, so I think will be my choice.

Cheers.

P.S. I finally ordered 2 bottles of Hirsch 16 yo today. I am glad its shipment got delayed (and the sale extended) because I was too preoccupied in the past few weeks to remember to place an order.