Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What are you drinking, yet AGAIN!!!

This afternoon, it's been my good ol' standby/everyday pour, Buffalo Trace.

Except I violated my own rule and put more ice than normal. I'm so ashamed.

Guru

Blanton's (from a mini) and what may prove to be the last of my Rock Hill Farms (100 proof), side by side.

Words fail me. The Blanton's starts out with a nose of heavily buttered biscuits, lightly browned on the bottom. Rock Hill Farms is Mom's apple pie, with a hint of cinnamon and light on the sugar, so the tartness of the apples comes through.

On the palate the Blanton's is more of the same, but it never quite tastes like bourbon to me. (Someone hereabouts once said, "If you don't like Blanton's, then you don't like bourbon." I disagree.) It's so amazingly smooth that it's tempting to escalate from careful sips to rapid, multiple swallows -- the same way I drink Eye of the Hawk Select Ale. Is that any way for a bourbon to be?

In contrast the Rock Hill Farms tickles, tingles and tantalizes. Yes, this is bourbon, with a family resemblance to other Buffalo Trace products. (It's time for me to review the old posts about the various BT mashbills. Regardless, I think I taste a similarity to Stagg and to Buffalo Trace, but not to Blanton's.)

If I can exercise a little restraint, there's just enough Rock Hill Farms left for one more drink, which I intend to have side-by-side with another BT bottling. Which should I choose?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Stagg?

Virtuoso

On the palate the Blanton's is more of the same, but it never quite tastes like bourbon to me. (Someone hereabouts once said, "If you don't like Blanton's, then you don't like bourbon." I disagree.) It's so amazingly smooth that it's tempting to escalate from careful sips to rapid, multiple swallows. Is that any way for a bourbon to be?
    I agree with you, Dave. I think Blanton's needs more flavor. It just doesn't do anything for me, particularly at $45 a bottle.

I bought a bottle a couple months ago to settle once and for all whether I can learn to appreciate it. I never did and the bottle is still half full. If I make it to the festival, it will be one of my contributions to the gazebo gatherings.

Connoisseur

It's so amazingly smooth that it's tempting to escalate from careful sips to rapid, multiple swallows. Is that any way for a bourbon to be?
    Gosh, now after your comments it makes me want to go re-explore Blanton's. I'm almost wondering if maybe the "leave them wanting more" phenomenon that I described in my tasting notes is because I'm *WANTING* more fulfillment!? Hmmm...that's a toughie! Blanton's, at least to my palate, seems to satisfy, but you REALLY crave more...maybe that's why you say you tend to turn to the gulping-type of drinking!?

Can a bourbon be too smooth!? Must it have a certain bite that satisfies and makes you not want to gulp more?

Disciple

Blanton's, at least to my palate, seems to satisfy, but you REALLY crave more...

Not because you dont feel fufilled, because it is just that damn good!!

Yummy
    TomC

Virtuoso

Not because you dont feel fufilled, because it is just that damn good!!
    That's the way I am feeling with my Weller 12 yo tonight. I can't get enough, but the watchful eye of my sweetie is upon me.

BTW, a neighbor came over to have a nightcap. He chose Blanton's on the rocks. I said, "Help yourself. It's always good to share great bourbon with those who appreciate it, especially when it is a bourbon I don't particularly fancy."

Connoisseur

Tonight I'm having a nip of Kentucky Vintage. I bought this two months ago when I passed through Kentucky...I've never seen it out here in California. I think it's a pretty good bourbon. It's not too complex, but it has a richer flavor than most in its price range. Kinda oaky, but then I like that.

Advanced Taster

last night it was Buffalo Trace...I love this bourbon. This could easily become my "regular pour" but the distribution Gods have decided that Ohio (a stones throw from Ky) isn't worthy of it. I am two hours from the river and WVA where they also sell it but at an inflated price...a $17+ bottle in Ky becomes a $25+ bottle in WVA and I don't get there very often. Frankly I would rather drink BT than Blanton's...I like Blanton's but at $40+ locally it is a rare buy...(If we can get Blanton's then why not Buffalo Trace???) If given the choice I would rather have Elmer T Lee single barrel...alas it too can only be picked up when going south. As a general rule I would choose BT products over nearly all others...but that is probably stating the obvious, especially when you include the VW's. "In a perfect world Buffalo Trace would be in every bar"

Advanced Taster

Upon reconsideration I must amend and admit that if you offered me a free bottle of Blanton's and a free bottle of Buffalo Trace I would probably reach for Blanton's MOST of the time ....but I must admit my opinion of Blanton's is colored somewhat by my extremely high expectations due to the price and the wonderful packaging/marketing. (Blanton's is now at least $40, sometimes $45 locally...and the entire "riding jockey" is totally cool) After all what does not become a Blanton's probably becomes a Buffalo Trace and Elmer T Lee himself has said that with 250,000 barrels to choose from there is at least a small degree of hit and miss. (Of course with a genius like Elmer the odds of missing that great barrel are greatly reduced.) However I stand behind my assertion that Elmer T Lee single barrel is better...FOR ME...because as Elmer says he chooses a "sweeter" barrel for his namesake and I just happen to like this kind of bourbon...your mileage may vary...(also in KY Elmer T Lee Single Barrel is $23 while Blanton's is $45...you do the math)...in general I like BT products because they are sweeter and more "candy" like on the chart than other bourbons...we all are different in both our current tastes and in our taste evolution. At one time(when much younger) all I drank were Jim Beam products but as I matured I grew away from them....however I think Bookers is still one of the finest products out there...top ten for sure...top five? Gee am I rambling?....as we all know taste is a very ephemeral thing (cool word eh?...look it up, it really applies to bourbon)that is in constantly changing form due to mood,circumstance, budget??, EXPERIENCE etc......did I mention before this rambling rant that I had had a few? (Buffalo Trace of course)