Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What are you drinking, yet AGAIN!!!

BTW, I am really enjoying my OGD 86. But, night before last, I had a dram of the 114. There is no comparison. The 114 is sweeter and gives a mouth burst full of flavors. The 86 is relatively one dimensional (but, still great for the price I paid).

Tim
    OGD 114 I like it too! Not just heat, yum.

Tonight it's ........ EC12YO

Enthusiast

VW 12 yo. Man, that's good stuff. Lot "B". Was there ever a Lot "A" or a Lot "C"? Seriously. Photos I've seen are always Lot "B". He must have bottled alot of this stuff. Pure heaven.

Enthusiast

Just landed myself a new job with a large pay rise to boot. I think this calls for a large Stagg - then perhaps one more.
    I'm sure this stuff makes some distillers cry and hang their heads in shame, about how piss poor their Bourbon is!!

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I'm sure this stuff makes some distillers cry and hang their heads in shame, about how piss poor their Bourbon is!!

That's the truth! Until recently my wife would dodge Frying chicken when she could. I explained to her that half of it was presentation. Says I," The first thing you tell anyone who asks about your Fried Chicken is, " I can Fry a Chicken that would make Colonel Sanders Cry!"" Actually If the Colonel came back he probably would cry, but because some of the KFC's put out a product that doesn't resemble what it used to be.

Guru

Rebel Yell. (YEEEEEEEHAAAAAA!)

This is not really a bad bourbon. The question may be whether it's representative of bourbon at all. I suppose if someone who had never tasted liqour before wanted to try a sip of bourbon, this is what I might offer them. It definitely tastes enough like bourbon to distinguish it from s-----, and it doesn't taste bad. (I'm having a feeling of deja vu, as though I've written those exact same words before. Shudder....)

This is my second bottle, which I recall cost less than $10 at Trader Joe's. It won't be a priority to rush out and buy another bottle when this one is gone, but I'll probably replace it eventually at that price.

My bottle says it is from Louisville, which, according to someone who knows far more than I about such things, means that it comes from the old Bernheim Distillery, now operated by Heaven Hill. This one, like the various Old Fitzgerald bottlings, definitely does not have the so-called "Heaven Hill taste", according to my palate. I guess a wheat recipe and a different distillery would easily account for that.

Yesterday I tried it in a Manhattan, and it was horrible. All I could taste was Gallo red vermouth and Angostura bitters. I'll definitely cut way back on both if I ever try that again. (Reminds me of the old dry-martini joke, whose punchline is "Not so loud!" -- spoken to the bartender, after he was intructed to say the word "vermouth" after pouring a glass of gin.)

Man, this stuff is easy to drink. I'm startin gto make typis alredy.

At least I had the pressence of mind to deleet the stupi dpoll, "Are You Wishy-Washy?", that I posted under the thread about neck foil.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Advanced Taster

I'm working on a accidentally long pour of Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve. Incidentally, my bottle hails from Louisville.

Tommy

Advanced Taster

Yeah, Dave, I agree.....Rebel Yell is a good starter bourbon for beginners as well as a good tasting, nicely priced drink. I've only bought 2 bottles of this stuff...the first when I was just beginning to seriously drink bourbon and the second after having finished off several high-end bourbons. I wasn't too carried away with the second bottle but even though it can't compare to premium bottlings it is an extremely decent low to mid-shelf buy.

-Troy

Advanced Taster

Blantons!

I don't get it. To me, this bourbon does not epitomize full-flavored bourbons...not even close. It does not have any sort of bite (which I enjoy in certain degrees), does not have much of a lingering finish or possess much depth or complexity.

But I love it! A good mellow, refined single barrel has won me over.

Strange, but Elmer T. Lee struck me much the same way but I don't much care for it. Blanton's has a twist of something that I seem to find much more appealing than the sweetness of Elmer T. Lee.

-Troy

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Tonight, I went for bike ride. (bicycle)Wwhen I got back,I sunk into my leather chair, drank a Diet Sprite and followed it with a pour of Pappy 20 Neat. What a day!! Now, its out to the deck to look at Mars. Wonder if anyone is looking back.

Guru

Earlier this afternoon, to help me deal with the anxiety of navigating the options list on the Dell website, I enjoyed a Wild Turkey shotglass of Russell's Reserve, which now tastes good to me once again.

To celebrate completing the order, and to dull the pain of spending the equivalent of several cases of bourbon on yet another household appliance, I reached blindly into my mini-cabinet and came up with... Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 y/o rye. I never cease to marvel at how, well, marvelous this stuff is. What sets it apart, to my taste, is the finish, which starts with peppermint and then fades to a bittersweet caramel, belying the kick that precedes it.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield