Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What are you drinking, yet AGAIN!!!

Some laws are meant to be broken!! I've been forced into villainy myself because of the 4 liter rule. Maybe we can get adjacent cells.
    Fine by me...but you don't wanna know what I had to do to smuggle this rye into prison!!!

Virtuoso

Maybe the sipping concept you mention comes from the fact that the whiskeys are smooth enough to drink neat. This would be in contrast to the harsh stuff which requires some Coke to cover up the harshness. (This is despite the fact that JD thinks it is sippin' whiskey. )

Guru

but you don't wanna know what I had to do to smuggle this rye into prison!!!
    Consider yourself lucky it wasn't Rock Hill Farms... or Old Forester Birthday Bourbon.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

You're not kidding Tim! I know both me and Jim have had horrible experiences with it... NEVER again!

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

In a related experience, I went to a liquor store in NC and bought a case of liquor for a party. I had to get a One Day Transport Permit that allowed me to tranport this tremendous shipment of spirits within the state. Valid for only 24 hours, I had to ensure my arrival and unloading from my vehicle within the allotted time. The multipart form had a transporter copy, a copy for the store and I'm assuming a copy for the state, to track hardened transporters of boxloads of alcohol. I thought the guy behind the counter was kidding when he told me the rule.

Guru

Wow, that's crazy. When me, my wife, Chris and Kristin went to Canada last year we had no idea the law on bringing stuff back into the US. So we said the heck with it, we bought stuff going into Canada and more stuff while leaving Canada as well. In total we had about 12 bottles, maybe a few more. When we came back into the US they didn't ask us anything, not even for licenses or anything. They just checked under the back of his truck with those mirror things and let us go... I think we made out good because I think you're allowed alot less than that...

Maybe it was my flat black '43 sedan with dual exhaust and the name "John Barleycorn" across the trunk that raised suspicion.

This is what I saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connoisseur

Blanton's, to me, epitomizes the smooth, "sophisticated" pour, a true sippin whiskey.
    I'll come to your side on this. When I think of "harsh and full-bodied" I think of the kind of bourbon that might make you cough, pound your chest, and some would then proclaim "now THAT'S a whiskey" -- cowboy movies style. Maybe that is why Turkey is not my favorite -- it is what some of you are calling "full bodied" and to me is just a bit rough.

Blantons and Rock Hill Farms and some others are the type to just sip and enjoy. While I've not poured any for awhile I've never found Blanton's to be weak or thin. These two are bourbons I truly love (but don't drink often because of the price!). I'd say they give me a lot of taste without the harshness.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

This is a very good point, one I wish I had made myself.

There is a line in a Dickens novel where a young girl says (memory tells me to a character called "Swiveller"), "I never had a taste of beer except once, in a sip". And Swiveller responded, "you can't taste it in a sip!".

Gary