Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: What are you drinking, yet AGAIN!!!

Just finished off some Old Charter 10yo. It's been around for a while and I'd just pull it out now and then... but while each time I suckured it didn't exactly sweep me off my feet I certainly didn't mind it when I had either. All in all-- on a star scale of 1 to 5 (five being best), I'd give it ***.

Most worthy!

Mark
    http://jazztrpt.freeservers.com

Guru

Bakers 7 year 107 proof. I just opened this bottle since my Van Winkle 12 year is just about gone. I really enjoyed that bottle! The Bakers is actually a Beam bourbon I like, along with Bookers. I found it to be sweet yet spicy at the same time, almost 'thick' tasting. It had quite a nice finish. Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Taster

Evan Williams Single Barrel '93 Vintage, followed by a generous pour of Blantons.

I am still UNimpressed with EWSB '93. For a single barrel it is just too plain.

But Blantons......now that is some fine bourbon. I wasn't overly impressed when I first opened this bottle but it has really proven to be exquisite.

Here's to the first single barrel of them all!

-Troy

Connoisseur

Weller Centennial. I like this bourbon a lot. But then, I seem to like all the Wellers (at least the 12 and 19 yo's).

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Re: Furlongs, week 2

I'm taking notes! Thursday it is!

Enthusiast

Saturday night and it's JB Black for me. Not a big JB fan but tonight it is just what I wanted.

Virtuoso

Are you ready? A Saturday night in L'ville, KY. But, guess what? I didn't go to Furlongs. I met one of my uncles and my aunt at Harper's on Hurstbourne. Harper's has a great bourbon selection, but their pours are skimpy. They were about half of what I got at Furlongs with the less generous bartender and about 1/3 of what I got with the generous bartender.

While at Harper's, I gave WT KS it's final chance to make an impression on me. It failed. Or maybe, I failed. It is definitely a WT bottling, but, as I've said here before, WT doesn't turn me on except for RB.

But, this discovery doesn't bother me. I have plenty of other great bourbons to keep me happy. I could exist on BT products alone.

Connoisseur

I gave WT KS it's final chance to make an impression on me. It failed. Or maybe, I failed.
    Don't feel bad--I've always found Wild Turkey products to fall short.

I could exist on BT products alone.
    Amen to that, but only as long as the Van Winkle line is included!

Virtuoso

Old Forrester 86. I'll be damned if this doesn't taste great here in L'ville. I may have to stop buying the 100 proof in NC that seems to have gone down hill and buy me a 1.75L of the 86 proof here in KY.

I stopped by a local bar in St. Matthew's tonight - Maiers at the intersection of Breckenridge and Shelbyville Road. Friendly, local crowd, all guys watching Monday Night Football. Really good wings, dirt cheap - as large as I've seen them - 20 for $7. Great deal and a good sauce.

They had a better than average selection of bourbon for a beer joint. I took the OF 86.

While I was there, a local bought a round. And the bartender brought out a t-shirt for everyone - I picked Wild Turkey over JD. Ironic, how I am not a huge WT fan, but, I was grateful all the same and bumped up the tip accordingly.

A good start to the evening.

Connoisseur

Hirsch rye. I picked this up a couple of weeks ago, and I'm enjoying it. From what I've gleaned off of these boards, it's the same stuff as the Van Winkle Rye, and it does taste very very similar to the Van Winkle Family Reserve. It's good, but because I can find the Family Reserve around here for $10 cheaper, I think I'll stick to that in the future.