Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What are you drinking, yet AGAIN!!!

Tonight Eagle Rare 17 year old. The best of the best (including Stagg) in my opinion. I cannot vouch for tomorrow given my current situation, but today turned out to be pretty good and I figure I should celebrate all the good I can when I can, so here is a toast of the best to all my great bourbonic friends.

TomC

Guru

Elijah Craig 18 y/o -- in honor of our child bride and her lucky husband.

It tastes different than I recall, an occurrence I've almost come to expect, perhaps influenced by the EC 12 I drank a couple of evenings this week. The nose is less woody than I recall, and there's a strong presence of the grassiness that I tasted in my EWSB '92. On the palate I'm getting some of that EC12 medicinal quality (some call it "camphor"), which suggests pine resin or eucalyptus. The grassy flavor returns at the [dry] finish, which reminds me of the "flinty" quality of a Johannesburg Rieling that I drank years ago.

I have yet to try some Manhattan makin's that I bought recently. While I still have the Bardstown Bourbon Society newsletter handy, I think I'll try the recipe that used EC 18. (I'll have to use regular, refrigerator ice, though.)

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Virtuoso

Well, I need to clear out some bottles in my liquor cabinet, so I thought I would start with the Knob Creek.

Before I met SB.com last summer and rapidly expanded my collection, I used to like KC as a winter drink. Not any more. It justs tastes blech to me now. Guess I'll have to save this bottle for mixing with guests' drinks.

The problem is (and this is a good problem to have), most of my liquor cabinet is stocked with bottles I can't get here in NC, so, for most of my collection, I am not in a hurry to get rid of it. And I can't buy any more EC 12 yo or WT RB, both available here in NC, cuz my wife said no more till I clean out what I already have. What to do?

Guess I will just go to the pantry and pull out that bottle of BT.

Administrator in exile

Jefferson's. Trying to get to know this one a little better. What is the chance that this bourbon came from Buffalo Trace? Has that classic "earthiness" that I taste in most BT bourbons, but just a little hotter. I think I'll try this one on the rocks tomorrow to see if it mellows out any.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I know every one gets different mileage. I'm going on memory here because tonite I have a bit of the EC18 with American Still Life. I thought the bottle I have is fairly smooth with a cube or 2. At any rate I enjoyed finding Jefferson's because I had no Idea it would come out and it's something to go along side of OFBB, Stagg, And FRSB when we do get it.

Connoisseur

Ancient Ancient Age. I bought this bottle when I went back east in June. You can't get this stuff out here in California, as far as I know. When I first tried it, I didn't like it at all...it tasted weak and watery, with an aftertaste of dried grass. I set it aside for awhile, but ventured back tonight to see if my initial impressions held up. Fortunately, they don't...this tastes pretty good tonight...smooth, kinda carmel-y taste. It still gives me that hint of grass flavor, but it tastes good this time. Nice!

Enthusiast

EC 12 YO

Virtuoso

AAA varies with my mood. It is just like you described. Too weak if you want something strong, but if you are in a mellow mood, it really hits the spot!

Administrator in exile

ORVW 12yo rye I love this stuff, but it's sort of a bitter-sweet sentiment, as I may never own another bottle

Enthusiast

Did a taste comparison tonight of ORVW 10yr (90proof) and 15ry (107). Enjoyed both very much and even managed to burn out my nose buds. Delighted in finally identifying what I like most about the 15yr. In two words? chocolate brownies. Let my taste buds relax for an hour and finished off with VW 12 year old. Smooth as silk. That's the bourbon that'll get my wife hooked. Better not let her have any!!

Dave