Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: James E. Pepper rye?

There seem to be two paths, one where the people say they're going to make their own, and one where people don't bother. I'm coming to prefer the people who don't bother, since the others are all lying.

Enthusiast

I picked up a bottle of this tonight at Binny's (Niles). It is fairly sweet, but I'm getting quite a minty note from it, as well as very mild wood in the aftertaste. It's the first LDI rye I've had at 100 proof and I'm curious as to how it would taste after, say, four or six years of aging. For $30 I figured it was worth a shot considering the label gave the source away and the source is known to be a good one. It shows promise.

The label talks about James E. Pepper's boasting that he used his grandfather's original Revolution-era recipes; does anyone know anything about that? I've seen some older "Born With The Republic" ads but none that mentioned historic continuity. Indeed, Oscar Pepper's distillery (now Woodford Reserve) is where James Crow thrived and produced his Old Crow and Old Pepper whiskeys. I would think that it was taken as understood that Dr. Crow's recipes and methods were considered superior to Elijah Pepper's, since that's what Elijah's son (and James' father) Oscar Pepper produced and sold to such great acclaim.
    Last edited by shoshani; 12-22-2012 at 20:06.

Connoisseur

I am pretty sure James Pepper's recipes never figured into making this whiskey. Did you get an odd woodiness? I think it has been rebarreled is small barrels. There is a small barrel cooperage that I will not call the name of, but it makes awful barrels that have a distinct green wood flavor, that is very pronounced in rye. I got that flavor in my bottle.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    I am pretty sure James Pepper's recipes never figured into making this whiskey. Did you get an odd woodiness? I think it has been rebarreled is small barrels. There is a small barrel cooperage that I will not call the name of, but it makes awful barrels that have a distinct green wood flavor, that is very pronounced in rye. I got that flavor in my bottle.
    The aftertaste had a bit of woodiness, but not the actual whiskey. But this could change in a day or two as it gets a little air. And yeah, being that the rye is LDI, it wouldn't be anything Pepper (or even Crow) used for their recipe; this is pure Seagram.

Guru

Not sure of the timelines but wasn't Dr. Crow already working at the Pepper distillery when James E. was born. I'm tired of these made up histories. The producers of the Pepper brand trying to claim a heritage back to 1780 is as ridiculous as a new car company naming itself Stanley Steamer and promptly announcing it's going to celebrate it's 100th birthday.

Disciple

Got a bottle of this last week and it isn't bad for a younger rye. Especially un chill filtered and 100 proof!

Thomas

Disciple

Saw this on a store shelf today. Nice to see Ohio broaden its rye horizons!
    Thomas

Enthusiast

I saw a James Pepper 15 Year Rye on the TTB site today. Instead of saying it's LDI it states the mashbill is 90%+ rye. The label speaks to it being a low barrel proof.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...13029001000204

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    I saw a James Pepper 15 Year Rye on the TTB site today. Instead of saying it's LDI it states the mashbill is 90%+ rye. The label speaks to it being a low barrel proof.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...13029001000204
    If I read that label right, it says it's bottled AT barrel proof, even though it's 45.3% alcohol. I'm....not sure exactly how they got barrels that are fractionally over 90 proof to start with. Unless after their 2 or 4 years of straight aging, they were rebarreled but diluted to a lower proof in the process. Can that be done, is there a legal MINIMUM barrel/rebarrel entry proof?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post
    If I read that label right, it says it's bottled AT barrel proof, even though it's 45.3% alcohol. I'm....not sure exactly how they got barrels that are fractionally over 90 proof to start with. Unless after their 2 or 4 years of straight aging, they were rebarreled but diluted to a lower proof in the process. Can that be done, is there a legal MINIMUM barrel/rebarrel entry proof?
    I was curious of the same. We've seen in the past where they simply plug a number in when they might not know the proof yet but this one says "bottled at a surprisingly low barrel proof" on the back label. I'm not sure on this one.