Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: James E. Pepper rye?

I had a taste of the 15 recently, it was at a bourbon bar in Newport, KY which John Lipman took me to (John writes up a historical American whiskey website well-known to some here). It was very good, with a distinct peppermint note.

About Tom's comment that many small barrels have a "green wood note", I would agree with this. Not sure why this is, it shows as a "pine sap" taste to my mind.

Gary

Guru

I've read old accounts where sap in just one green stave can have detrimental effects on the entire barrel, sort of the one rotten apple principle.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Well, I don't much like the taste, but I've never been sure if that is the state of any young whiskey, i.e., at a few months to a year or so. Does whiskey conventionally aged taste like that at that age? I don't know.

Gary

Disciple

James E. Pepper rye?

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    How to pickles hold up after being canned for 15 yrs?
    Based on the High West 12 they hold up pretty good after 12 years.
    Jim

Guru

Well. Maybe I can find a sample of the Pepper somewhere around town.

Connoisseur

I'm bumping up an old thread because Pepper 1776 Rye just showed up in my town. The label says 100 proof, non chill filtered, distilled in Indiana, at least 2 years old. For just under $30, I was willing to take a chance. This shouldn't be a big surprise, it tastes very similar to the other LDI sourced ryes: Bulleit, Dickel Rye, Willett Rye, and others ... If you like LDI rye, and find it at a good price, then go for it. If you don't like LDI rye, stay away.

Enthusiast

I had the 1776 at a bar this summer and thought it was really harsh and too young (young, young LDI). I would not recommend it at all.

I'm curious about the 15yr rye. I saw it on the shelves of some stores when I was travelling for 150$. Does anyone know the source of the whiskey? I'm guessing LDI (with the over 90% rye comment on their website, which I think is a tad dubious), but it could be Canadian or even from somewhere else.
    Justin

Connoisseur

My understanding is that if it is distilled in another state than where it is bottled, they have to put that on the label. Since it's bottled in Bardstown KY, they have to include distilled in IN on the label. So, the 15 year old label should give some clue. Either it was distilled and bottled in the same state, or list the two different states.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    My understanding is that if it is distilled in another state than where it is bottled, they have to put that on the label. Since it's bottled in Bardstown KY, they have to include distilled in IN on the label. So, the 15 year old label should give some clue. Either it was distilled and bottled in the same state, or list the two different states.
    Yeah, well aware of that. I haven't had a good chance to closely check out the label on the 15 year. A few websites say Indiana, so I presume LDI. Saw it priced at $150 and initially thought that was high. Seems ridiculous now knowing that its LDI (especially with LDI Jeff 10 Rye being around $30).
    Justin

Guru

Indiana is LDI/MGP.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.