Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rye Prices

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Rye Prices

Yesterday at Binny's, I was surprised by the prices on ryes. Although they have a big stack of Rittenhouse BIB at $22.99, both Knob Creek and Bulleit were over $30 a bottle. I also noticed that Templeton has dropped its price. Binny's has Bulleit and Templeton (which are both LDI) side-by-side, with Templeton at $39 and Bulleit at $34.

Old Overholt, on the bottom shelf, still $14.99.

Virtuoso

Re: Rye Prices

Off the top of my head, the lowest prices I can find in the Twin Cities (assuming products are in stock) for those are Rittenhouse for $20, Bulleit for $23 (although I can get it for under $20 on sale sometimes), Knob Creek for $36. Overholt can be found for $9.99 around town. One you didn't mention was Baby Saz which runs in the $25-30 range when it's available.

You can pay more, of course.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I had Bulleit fixed in my head about about $25, so seeing for $34 was a shock. I guess now that Binny's has no competition, they have no need to be the price leader. Their deal price on Knob Bourbon is $29.99.

Was happy to get a Binny's selection of Buffalo Trace for $24.99. At least we can still count on Heaven Hill and Sazerac to give us bargains.

Virtuoso

Nearly every store I frequent has Bulleit rye priced identically to the bourbon. Both can be had on sale for under $20 on occasion.

Speaking of rye prices, Temleton just showed up here. Cheapest I saw was $41.99. I passed.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Virtuoso

Bulleit Rye is $19.99 at Trader Joe's in California.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Firstly, I have been very surprised by the extensive distribution of Bulleit Rye. It's everywhere, in seemingly, every state I visit.
    Secondly, as Brisko stated, I always see the Rye pricing on par with the Bulleit Bourbon.
    Thirdly, pricing seems to consistently be in the slightly-North-of-$25 range.
    Fourthly, I really like this whiskey
    Fifthly, I would buy the crap out of it if I saw it at South-of-$20...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Firstly and lastly, why would the strength of Diageo's distribution power surprise you? They're only the largest spirits producer in the world. They saw what was happening with the Rye explosion, even though some commentators were denying it, and they took advantage.

And in my state, Bulleit Bourbon and Rye are line priced slightly under $25.

Connoisseur

I am not suprised that the LDI ryes are not higher. With as haig a rye mashbill as they have. Rye grain is more expensive than corn and does not yeld nearly as much. About a gallon and a half per bushel less.

Virtuoso

I have never seen Bulleit rye for less than $34.99, nor have I seen Bulleit bourbon for less than $29.99, and I shop almost exclusively at Binny's as I find their prices to be better 90% of the time in the city (some products can be found for cheaper in the burbs). Templeton has always hovered in the $35-$40 range at Binny's, so I don't see that the price has gone down.

I'll pay $35 for baby Saz every now and then, but other than the Willet ryes, that's the only rye I'll pay more than $25 for (ok, and not including VWFRR). I'm quite unlikely to spend another $50 on McKenzie rye. I'll spend $80 for Saz18, and one of these days I'll pick up another Rendezvous Rye for $55.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Firstly and lastly, why would the strength of Diageo's distribution power surprise you? They're only the largest spirits producer in the world. They saw what was happening with the Rye explosion, even though some commentators were denying it, and they took advantage.

And in my state, Bulleit Bourbon and Rye are line priced slightly under $25.
    Diawho? I see your point, Dog. What I guess I was getting at, is that I see the Bulleit Rye on the shelves more than any other rye. And, before the rye came out, Bulleit Bourbon was hit or miss. Now, it seems to have gained shelf space because of the rye placement. I would have expected it to be the other way around. I can't remember the last store I was in where both products weren't on the shelf. Prior to the rye release, it was 50:50 that the bourbon would be on the shelf.

I would guess pricing of all ryes would be cheaper for Wisconsinites because of competition due to the large amount of rye/Canadian consumed there.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama