Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rye Prices

Disciple

Re: Rye Prices

I here ya, Joe. I now see them together everywhere.

Bulleit Bourbon was just another Bourbon when it came out, but the Rye really filled a need. Ritt availability is spotty, Baby Saz is rare, and Turkey ruined their Rye. (And Beam's Ryes are about as good as their Bourbon.) When Bulleit Rye comes out, bars had something from a major producer that they could stock and keep around, and retailers needed the price point. I'm guessing that got more placements for the Bourbon.

And Wisconsin is a very frugal state. In fact, I've seen both Bulleits on sale for $19.99 from time to time.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Yesterday at Binny's, I was surprised by the prices on ryes. Although they have a big stack of Rittenhouse BIB at $22.99, both Knob Creek and Bulleit were over $30 a bottle. I also noticed that Templeton has dropped its price. Binny's has Bulleit and Templeton (which are both LDI) side-by-side, with Templeton at $39 and Bulleit at $34....
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I had Bulleit fixed in my head about about $25, so seeing for $34 was a shock. I guess now that Binny's has no competition, they have no need to be the price leader. ...
    I wonder how each state's tax structure and wholesaler pricing figure in? In MI, the state min. price for Bulleit Rye is $26; for Knob Creek Rye is $45.

Shell
    Last edited by Shell; 10-14-2012 at 13:37. Reason: correction

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

That's why there's a lot of variation from state to state, but typically a state won't be high on some products and low on others. If prices tend to be high, they tend to be high across the board and vice-versa. That's why it's always important to say where you saw a particular price. I usually quote Illinois prices, which tend to be on the low side, or Kentucky prices which also tend to be on the low side. Control states such as Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania can be counted on to be high.

Guru

They're usually higher than KY, IN or IL here, but not THAT high. Oddly enough, when the KCR first hit the shelves it was $5 cheaper than it is now.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

Actually Chuck comparing Binny's prices with Michigan's State minimum prices show them to be pretty close, some higher some lower.
    Prices are definitely higher here than Kentucky. The big advantage Illinois and Kentucky has over Michigan is in selection. We have it pretty good, but not like you guys. Also, none of our stuff can go on sale, below State minimum price. And we have no Binny's card!!

Today in the Twin Cities saw baby SAZ at $27.99 and & $29.99. Templeton @ $41.99 at 2 different places.

Paul

Enthusiast

I thought this was a good of place as any to stick this: New stuff on the Michigan list

Ritt BiB 100 - $21.96 (well we are finally getting this but given the shortages, we will see how much actually makes it into State)
    GD Rye - $22.99

Plus these others
    Bulleit 10yr - $49.96 (10 yr old @ 92 proof seems just a tad! high)
    Ardbeg Galileo - $99.99 (apparently $100 for Ardbeg's specialty bottles in the new norm. Still find Alligator at a number of stores)

Josh usually takes care of this - must be slackin'

Disciple

Dang. RITT in MI. Maybe OH is next?
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Disciple

Ritt. used to be special order in Ohio then they took it off thhe list. One of the local stores ordered in a couple of cases and I bought what was left when they closed it out!

Thomas

Advanced Taster

[QUOTE=The Boozer;305623]I thought this was a good of place as any to stick this: New stuff on the Michigan list

Ritt BiB 100 - $21.96 (well we are finally getting this but given the shortages, we will see how much actually makes it into State)
    GD Rye - $22.99 ... [/QUOTE

Good catch. Rittenhouse 100 proof just showed up a "new product" in the MI supplemental list of 10/28/2012. Hopefully, it will show up in the retail stores shortly.

The $21.96 is the state minimum price, the price most retailers have been pricing their spirits to be competitive. One in a while, a very sought after item that is in short supply will be priced at a premium. Let's hope Rittenhouse 100 proof won't be one of those.

Shell