Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: Rye Prices

  1. #21
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hoboken, NJ
    Posts
    163

    Re: Rye Prices

    Just picked up my very first bottle of baby Saz at $31.99. Little more than I would have liked to have paid but having a shop a block from the office that keeps it in stock made me finally pull the trigger. Hope to do a nice side by side with the 18 year in the next few weeks.

  2. #22
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    3,034

    Re: Rye Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by jersey12 View Post
    Just picked up my very first bottle of baby Saz at $31.99. Little more than I would have liked to have paid but having a shop a block from the office that keeps it in stock made me finally pull the trigger. Hope to do a nice side by side with the 18 year in the next few weeks.
    That's just a little steap
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

  3. #23
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hoboken, NJ
    Posts
    163

    Re: Rye Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    That's just a little steap
    Yeah, I know you're right especially since I only paid $59.99 for the 18 year but sometimes convenience trumps saving a few dollars. Hopefully I'll think that it was worth it when the bottle's gone.

  4. #24
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Commonwealth of KY
    Posts
    3,157

    Re: Rye Prices

    Saw it here the other day for $35.99. No sir.

  5. #25
    Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    93

    Re: Rye Prices

    I've seen it as high as $40 here :/

  6. #26
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    downtown DC
    Posts
    753

    Re: Rye Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by DanG View Post
    I've seen it as high as $40 here :/
    It's $27 in Montgomery County, MD. That's not bad, but the best purchase I've ever made regarding BT rye is the white dog rye mash at $15. It's drinkable, mixable, whatever... The good part was being able to taste it and realizing the THH and Baby Saz simply are slightly older versions of white dog. The initial distillate is so recognizable in those whiskeys that I feel ripped off even drinking them, considering what they cost.

  7. #27
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    5,972

    Re: Rye Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    It's $27 in Montgomery County, MD. That's not bad, but the best purchase I've ever made regarding BT rye is the white dog rye mash at $15. It's drinkable, mixable, whatever... The good part was being able to taste it and realizing the THH and Baby Saz simply are slightly older versions of white dog. The initial distillate is so recognizable in those whiskeys that I feel ripped off even drinking them, considering what they cost.
    If so, I would find that very interesting, as I am a huge fan of both the THH and Baby Saz. And, I've never tried the wheat BT white dog. If there really is such a definitive linkage, I certainly want to try it. Unfortunately, I've not been able to discern much linkage between any white dog that the pAlthough, it doesn't matter, did you mean to say that you tasted white dog wheat mash? And, that since tasting that, you think THH and Baby Saz are simply slightly older versions of it? Or, did you mean to say rye? Regardless, it sounds like you are inferring that that these two whiskies are just slightly "better" than a white dog, due to presumably a "short" span of 6ish years in oak?

    roducers put out, and the final aged whiskies that presumably come from them. I'm wondering if anyone else been able to connect the BT wheat white dog with Handy with such definiteness?
    Last edited by smokinjoe; 10-28-2012 at 16:01.
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  8. #28
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    5,972

    Re: Rye Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    If so, I would find that very interesting, as I am a huge fan of both the THH and Baby Saz. And, I've never tried the wheat BT white dog. If there really is such a definitive linkage, I certainly want to try it. Unfortunately, I've not been able to discern much linkage between any white dog that the pAlthough, it doesn't matter, did you mean to say that you tasted white dog wheat mash? And, that since tasting that, you think THH and Baby Saz are simply slightly older versions of it? Or, did you mean to say rye? Regardless, it sounds like you are inferring that that these two whiskies are just slightly "better" than a white dog, due to presumably a "short" span of 6ish years in oak?

    roducers put out, and the final aged whiskies that presumably come from them. I'm wondering if anyone else been able to connect the BT wheat white dog with Handy with such definiteness?
    Please disregard this inane post of mine above. Absolute brain crash...

    Must be a delayed hangover from last nights festivities...

    I new something didn't make sense, I just didn't realize it was me...
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  9. #29
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    downtown DC
    Posts
    753

    Re: Rye Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Please disregard this inane post of mine above. Absolute brain crash...

    Must be a delayed hangover from last nights festivities...

    I new something didn't make sense, I just didn't realize it was me...

    Weird, I was nodding along and ready to address your questions

    I should say that I like THH a lot. I think what is added by the (ever-so-brief) 6 years in wood is a bit of softening of the raisiny, plummy notes in the new make, and most importantly, a resiny wood component that works like bitters or a wormwood infusion. That, obviously, isn't in the white dog, and gives it a real backbone, like a fully-made cocktail in a bottle. I still feel ripped off when I drink THH, but I'll probably buy it again. I don't want to come across as being too negative.

  10. #30
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,813

    Re: Rye Prices

    I just bought a couple of Baby Saz at $24/ea plus tax. That's the best price I have seen on it.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Corn Prices
    By JB64 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 17:33
  2. Bourbon prices are up... what have you seen...
    By spun_cookie in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-12-2009, 18:07
  3. Alcohol Prices
    By jbutler in forum History
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 11:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top