Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Re: Worst Bourbon you ever tried ?

Quote Originally Posted by savagehenry View Post
    Hudson Baby Bourbon. They had PVW 20 on the menu but had run out. The bartender said the closest thing they had was Hudson Baby Bourbon. Boy was she wrong. Tasted like tequila to me. She gave me a refund.
    It probably was the closest thing they had to PVW 20...with respect to price.

Guru

What? No one has mentioned WR4G? Truly an abomination. (Although I give BF props for refunding my money when I complained...)
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    What? No one has mentioned WR4G? Truly an abomination. (Although I give BF props for refunding my money when I complained...)
    Of course it also spawned one of the greatest SB threads ever...

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...in-(Batch-No-2)
    Last edited by Josh; 10-31-2012 at 19:31.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Ya know, as I've pondered this some more, I gotta say that the Top 10 Worst Bourbons that I've ever tried were all dusties. I've had recent releases that really didn't deliver much enjoyment, but I'm hard pressed to say any of them were bad, per se. But, I am totally convinced that many of the dusties (including the notorious Bourbon Supreme I mentioned earlier in this thread), started off bad...and stayed bad. My contention has always been, that there is a reason that some of these dusties are still on the shelf after all of these years. Because nobody bought them then, because they sucked then! Lesson I have learned: Dust on the bottle and a tax strip across the top does not always signify good whiskey.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

This thread reminds me of a friends answer to the question, What is the worst sex you ever had? To which he replied: "I haven't had bad sex just varying degrees of good".
    But there is a Woodford Reserve distillers select that I can't seem to get through have partaken of 2-3 times and have had it at least a year.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Josh: that old thread on WR4G comes up occasionally. I stand by what I said there, which is that that bourbon was a classic pot still flavor, one I recognize in some Irish whiskey, in some craft bourbons made today and in other contexts, old rum sometimes for example. The tastes are waxy, dough-like, pungent. It was a taste of history but many didn't like it because it didn't taste like the typical aged bourbon made from a column still. Fair enough. But it had its merits and made a great blending or cocktail whiskey for those who couldn't abide it neat. It was ahead of its time and when you look at the plethora of white whiskeys, young whiskeys and other specialty products of the emerging craft distillers, it led the way. Not everyone likes these products, but they are carving a niche and respond to the desire of many for artisan products made in a historical way.

Gary

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by gcsjr View Post
    Well, here I am with very little experience, but I had a bit of a 200mL bottle of Evan Williams Black label the other day...and it tasted like bourbon mixed with Lysterine. Is this normal for that label?
    Well, tried this again after a couple of weeks. The Lysterine flavor is MUCH less. I might be able to finish it after all. :-)

I wouldn't even use Canada Dry Stitzel-Weller for cooking.

Enthusiast
    Hudson Baby Bourbon is the worst stuff I put my lips to.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Josh: that old thread on WR4G comes up occasionally. I stand by what I said there, which is that that bourbon was a classic pot still flavor, one I recognize in some Irish whiskey, in some craft bourbons made today and in other contexts, old rum sometimes for example. The tastes are waxy, dough-like, pungent. It was a taste of history but many didn't like it because it didn't taste like the typical aged bourbon made from a column still. Fair enough. But it had its merits and made a great blending or cocktail whiskey for those who couldn't abide it neat. It was ahead of its time and when you look at the plethora of white whiskeys, young whiskeys and other specialty products of the emerging craft distillers, it led the way. Not everyone likes these products, but they are carving a niche and respond to the desire of many for artisan products made in a historical way.

Gary
    Very, very well said Gary!