Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Re: Worst Bourbon you ever tried ?

I was really hoping I would like honey-flavored concoctions, and they were both awful.

(1) Evan Williams Honey Reserve (to be fair, labeled as a "Kentucky Liqueur", but the next line does add "Made with extra-aged bourbon")

(2) Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey ... again, cannot exactly call itself a bourbon. I pray your indulgence ...

Both were in the category of "gack".

Apprentice

i agree, not a fan of the hudson, it was ok, but for the price...

and Bulleit. just personally found it not enjoyable at all.

Advanced Taster

Devils Cut,Angels Envy and Red Stag if you can call that bourbon..

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatdon View Post
    Red Stag if you can call that bourbon..
    You can't call that bourbon :-D
    Jim

Virtuoso

Easily High Plains Most Wanted Bourbon out of Kansas. Tasted like vanilla extract with no discernible bourbon characteristics.

Connoisseur

I would say the worst was a bottle of Heaven Hill gold label, 80 proof, tax stripped, bottled some time in the mid '80s, IIRC. It started off nice and fruity, a real surprise from HH, but within minutes it was like drinking strained vomit.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

This is tangential but may be of interest to those with bottles of oily, young or other bourbon just not to their taste. Why not put it through a Brita water filter? I tried this with a vodka that had a chemical-like odor and it is remarkable how that flavor was reduced by just a few minutes going through the filter. (I used a filter that had seen a few weeks filtering water because if you use a very new one, a slight charcoal or dusty taste can be communicated to the liquid in my experience).

I am sure it would take out the stronger tastes yet retain the full alcoholic power of the drink. The vodka seemed as strong as before, but was softer on the palate and with just a hint of the taste I found objectionable to start with. I was thinking of putting it through again but I actually liked the balance that came off the filter.

The only thing is, I am not sure if it would reduce the color and therefore some of the barrel taste. You could start with less than a full bottle of course. I just poured it in the jug in which the filter rests, just as we do for water. I didn't try to extract the activated charcoal from the filter and let the spirit sit on it (say shaking from time to time) but that is another possibility.

I was, again, very surprised at the noticeable improvement it made.

Gary

Connoisseur

My bottles of Rowan's Creek, Noah's Mill, and Kentucky XO are pretty dang bad. For the price, I was expecting much, much more. It's like these are the un-balanced reject barrels from Heaven Hill. Bitter tannin notes with an off-tasting grain note. The Noah's Mill is the most vile offender. Tastes like unaged corn whiskey, cheap wine, and mulch. A few drops of water at least makes it drinkable. Not the worst I've had, but for the price, it's pretty terrible.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Advanced Taster

Not a fan of Bulleit, something about it is really off putting. Had it on half dozen occasions, same experience each time.

Connoisseur

Agreed on that one too. The bourbon has that gross citrus/acid Four Roses thing going on. The Bulleit Rye, on the other hand, is quite good.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.