Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Worst Bourbon you ever tried ?

Breaking and Entering comes quickly to mind, as does Rebel Yell. Only two bottles I couldn't finish, even by mingling with something better.

Gran Legacy. Probably a young, bulk whiskey that was bottled for a grocery store chain here. I bought it right after I got into bourbon. I figured what the heck, it was only $16.00 for a handle. Tried a couple of pours three or four times over about a six month period. After the last time I tasted it, down the drain it went. Cody Road comes in a very close second though.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Cody Road comes in a very close second though.
    Distilled,aged and distributed all from the depths of hell I believe,pure evil in a bottle.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Advanced Taster

I recently gifted some BT Single Oak Project to my parents for the holidays. I figured it was a good way to make some space in the bunker. Last week they had opened one and I had a small taste of it. Sadly, I could not finish a shot's worth of bourbon. I don't recall the barrel number but now I'm thankful I stopped collecting the SOP bottles. Too expensive and too risky for $50 bucks for a 375ml.

Advanced Taster

Cyrus Noble. It smelled and tasted like the foreshots coming off a still.

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Distilled,aged and distributed all from the depths of hell I believe,pure evil in a bottle.
    Holy hell guys! You might have saved my life! Just read a favorable review in some whiskey rag and almost bought some Cody Road that just showed up at my local. I think my hard earned cash will go to a Rare Breed instead.

FWIW I once absolutely struggled through a bottle of Rebel Yell Reserve and the only thing I could think is "If this is the Reserve, what is the standard like?"

Guru

The standard version is worst, let me tell 'ya. A shame really, these venerable old brands should've received a dignified funeral instead.
    Last edited by squire; 01-17-2014 at 17:51.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Reading this thread caused me to reach to the back of the cabinet and pull out the 1 that I would place on the list. No, not bourbon, but rye. Old overholt to be exact. As I currently take a sip, is it as bad as remembered? no. Is it good? No. I wont drink this often, but it isnt like Id have to choke it down. Right now Im having it with a cube. The bottle will eventually be finished in coke. It excites me that the worst tasting (in my opinion) bourbon/rye is still tolerable. Bad bourbons are few and far between. Good bourbons are plentiful.

Disciple

Ten High blend from a beverage dispenser at a hotel. The server apologized when she dispensed it into the glass. I took a couple of sips and then poured it into a planter.

Quote Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
    Holy hell guys! You might have saved my life! Just read a favorable review in some whiskey rag and almost bought some Cody Road that just showed up at my local.
    I can't remember the thread, but another member here was inquiring about Cody Road once. The response Vosgar posted was, "Avoid it like the plague."
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"