Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Worst Bourbon you ever tried ?

Im factoring in price here, but I'm going to go ahead and say Jeffersons Ocean Aged. The amount I had to pay for a 1 oz sample was bad enough, but I would've been ill had I bought a bottle of it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Im factoring in price here, but I'm going to go ahead and say Jeffersons Ocean Aged. The amount I had to pay for a 1 oz sample was bad enough, but I would've been ill had I bought a bottle of it.
    I would have to say that one takes the cake for the dumbest premise for a special release too.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I would have to say that one takes the cake for the dumbest premise for a special release too.
    Wellllll... Springbank and the other Campbeltown scotches are often described as "salt-air influenced"... And any idea that works "where the expensive stuff comes from" is instantly a good idea for bourbon! What could possibly go wrong?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
    Wellllll... Springbank and the other Campbeltown scotches are often described as "salt-air influenced"... And any idea that works "where the expensive stuff comes from" is instantly a good idea for bourbon! What could possibly go wrong?
    HA! What indeed! And while we're at it, I'll go ahead and call BS on sea spray having anything to do with how a Scotch tastes either.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Well, I can tell you that the bourbon is salty and dank as all get out. Coulda been drunken sailors pissing in the barrels though, for all I know.

Apprentice

Elijah Craig 18. Destroyed by overpowering wood flavour. As the EC12 is one of my favourites this came as a huge disappointment.
    Signature Not Coming Soon to a screen near you.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by B-Zero View Post
    Elijah Craig 18. Destroyed by overpowering wood flavour. As the EC12 is one of my favourites this came as a huge disappointment.
    I'm still torn on this one Dale. I got a bottle from NZ a few years ago, and unfortunately it had cork taint so it wasn't a great example. I ended up using it as a mixer to finish the bottle. I see Nicks has it in stock for $130 a bottle, so I might try one more time, but if the next one is bad then I won't go there again.
    It's a shame really... I was lucky to get a personalised tour of Heaven Hill a few years ago and got to try some EC18 straight from the barrel (with wood char chunks instead of ice) - and it was hands down the best bourbon I've ever had the pleasure to taste!!

Disciple

EC18 is a single barrel, plus, I've noticed that air makes quite a difference. I've had great, good, and awful experiences with various bottles.

Apprentice

I just put it down to a bad barrel, the drink may be gone but the memory of the taste is burned in. Every time I open a bottle I pray that it's not like the ec18 I had..
    Signature Not Coming Soon to a screen near you.

Apprentice

Ancient Ancient Age 10 star. At 6 years and 90 proof I had expectations of something drinkable, but I was wrong. It is the only bourbon I thought belonged down the drain. I would take benchmark any day of the week over Ancient Ancient Age 10 star.