Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Going to Napa Valley/San Francisco

First off, credit and thanks where it is due: the members of this forum are really helpful and I thank you for both past, present and future advice.

As per the title, I am headed out there from my home Omaha, NE. I am planning on going to Charbay as it is. Are there any other microdistilleries in the areas around Napa and San Francisco? Alternatively, is there a liquor store or two in San Francisco that are really worth stopping by to get some rare stuff? I am just as much into scotch as I am bourbon so I'd love any advice about bourbons in the area as well as single malt whiskeys.

Look very forward to your advice!

Connoisseur

Re: Going to Napa Valley/San Francisco

You might want to try and call Anchor Distilling - tell them you are a huge whiskey fan and see if they can get you into a tour of the distillery which makes some interesting rye. I know they usually don't do tours except for private events, but it is worth a try.

The Whisky Shop on Sutter St. has some good single malts. For both bourbon and single malts, Cask is a nice store with a good selection; the staff also seems to know their whisk(e)y - prices On some things are a little on the high side. Healthy Spirits has a really good selection, but be advised that the prices rival eBay.

If you want to check out a bar or two, Rickhouse and Bourbon & Branch are worth a shot.

SF is a great city, enjoy your trip!
    Last edited by LostBottle; 08-21-2012 at 20:09.

Connoisseur

K&L is a must visit. Great prices, knowledgeable staff, and always something interesting on the shelf.

San Francisco has more whiskey hobbyists per capita than any other city in the world, so rare stuff is near impossible to find.

Connoisseur

Cask is an interesting whiskey shop and I'll second the K&L recommendation.

Enthusiast

Not sure where Charbay is going to take you (the winery is on top of Spring Mountain), but if it is into the Napa/Sonoma area -- I'd recommend stopping by Bottle Barn & Russian River Brew Co (if you like beer). Bottle Barn has the nicest stuff in Wine Country, but can't hold a candle to places like K & L.
    tl; dnr

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Check out Jepson up in Ukiah, north of Healdsburg on the 101. They make fine brandy and after all, brandy, made from grapes, is more traditional to the area than whiskey (not to exclude any whiskey of course from purchase as well).

Gary

Thank you for the advice all! I've ordered stuff from K&L before and have been very happy. Is there just one location or are there many? If the latter, then which one should I make sure to go to? I really dont want to do too much running around in San Fran.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTheater View Post
    Thank you for the advice all! I've ordered stuff from K&L before and have been very happy. Is there just one location or are there many? If the latter, then which one should I make sure to go to? I really dont want to do too much running around in San Fran.
    You can see on their website, but I think there are 3 - San Fran, Redwood City, and Hollywood - I think the main one is Redwood City and is not far from SF if that is where you'll be (just south on the 101 a bit, maybe 25 miles?)
    Mark

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTheater View Post
    If K&L, you can check inventory between the different location on their website and see which one match your preference on specific bottle offering.

Cheers
    --Hugh

Guru

You have got to check this place out, Bourbon And Branch, it's like a classic speakeasy, reservations only, also their other place Tradition.
    http://www.bourbonandbranch.com/
    ovh