Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: What do these guys have in common?

Joe, it is a practice which is surely strongly influenced by the climates of the distilling States - mainly Kentucky but Ed Foote worked in Indiana for a time and it can be devilish hot there too.

Also, these gents are (mostly) of a certain age and in their youth, A/C was not invariable. Apart from all this, all distilleries are hot steamy places.

This is why IMO the trait you identified is typical. This is why I believe Randy B drinks his bourbon the same way - Texas is still hot A/C or no A/C, right Randy?

Gary

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Thank you for getting the reference.

For those who didn't ...

Connoisseur

Looks like I am in good company, thanks Joe!

I usually drink my bourbon on the rock, or rocks. It's just how I prefer it in the heat. Even in winter I drink it on the rocks though, as that is how I have gotten used to it. I will consume neat if trying something new, but the standard, every day pour is cooled by ice.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    How does each Master Distiller drink his whiskey?

Well according to the Regan's book, all of these guys drink their whiskey "on the rocks", and some will add water. Only Jimmy Russell responded that he drink his "neat, OR on the rocks". Considering the lengths that I read some folks here go in preparation of drinking their whiskey, I was mildly amused at the simplistic, and, I guess according to many presumptuous "armchair experts", the non-"connoisseurish" way in which they enjoy the fruits of their own creations.
    Thanks, Joe. This is an example why SB is more than worth the price of membership. My practice is to taste bourbon neat, then with just a drop of water to see how it opens up, then to see how it stands up to the rocks. There is a difference between "tasting" and "drinking." I think if I had unlimited access, like these guys, to the best bourbon on the planet, I would be less concerned about "wasting" it by adding ice. Somehow, Stagg on the rocks just seems wrong. And we'll not even talk about Coke and/or ginger ale.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    For those who didn't ...
    That never gets old.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

That never gets old.
    I do remember that one, but didn't get the reference. That's some funny schtuff. Well done. Reminds me of those SNL skits with Farrell doing Trebek, and Hammonds playing Sean Connery. The one with Sharon Osborne may be the funniest 6 minutes in television.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Joe, it is a practice which is surely strongly influenced by the climates of the distilling States - mainly Kentucky but Ed Foote worked in Indiana for a time and it can be devilish hot there too.

Also, these gents are (mostly) of a certain age and in their youth, A/C was not invariable. Apart from all this, all distilleries are hot steamy places.

This is why IMO the trait you identified is typical. This is why I believe Randy B drinks his bourbon the same way - Texas is still hot A/C or no A/C, right Randy?

Gary
    Texas is hot during the summer with or without A/C. I have always added a cube and let it melt to cool the drink. Once you drink it like this, you find enjoyment in the drink whatever the temperature is.

And the doctors will tell you that those with acid reflux/indigestion can tolerate alcoholic drinks better if they are cooled and watered down, so to speak.
    No US taxpayer was harmed in the making of my Ford racecar.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Indeed I have learned this Randy, the hard way.

Gary

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Well according to the Regan's book, all of these guys drink their whiskey "on the rocks", and some will add water. Only Jimmy Russell responded that he drink his "neat, OR on the rocks". Considering the lengths that I read some folks here go in preparation of drinking their whiskey, I was mildly amused at the simplistic, and, I guess according to many presumptuous "armchair experts", the non-"connoisseurish" way in which they enjoy the fruits of their own creations.
    Damn! I can't believe ive been doing it wrong all these years! I have been wasting all that whiskey by drinking it neat. Now i just have to figure out how to cram those cubes into my Glencairn.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

They are 16 people who have never been in my kitchen.
    Dude!!!!
    You stole that line from Ciff Clavin of "Cheers" when he was on the TV show Jepordy and he couldn't answer a question,...(good job)
    ovh