Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012

A solid pour of VWFRR after the Binny's extravaganza last evening to cap the night off,what a perfect way to end an already stellar day!Thanks to another most generous member,thanks again Gary.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Having another small pour of VWFRR, this bottle is going way too fast, I better padlock the bottle I have in the bunker

Guru

Drinking some 2012 Saz18 & THH tonight.

The Saz18 is easy drinking and this bottle is going fast... not as sweet as the nose suggests but not very spicy for a rye either - I get a little citrus but it wisps in and out for me. The THH on the other hand socks you in the mouth with spiciness but there's also a grainy-taste (akin to taking a big whiff after opening up a new box of oatmeal) in the palette for me.

I probably need to let these bottles sit for a bit longer, but as of right now, I prefer the Saz18.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 11-13-2012 at 00:05.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Wild Turkey Rye. 101 proof, not that 81 business - according to WT I must not like my rye "smooth" nor "bold".
    I do kind of wonder about the sales results they're getting -- are the numbers great, good, soft or awful? How about results compared to projections? Is this a project/brand/product manager's victory or defeat? (And if it's a defeat, are they too powerful and/or connected to suffer the consequences of a poor business decision?)

I'm really hoping they return to the 101 rye. It sold steadily enough to keep producing it, and it was a good product. My seat-of-the-pants impression is that the 81 just isn't selling.

Guru

Ironically, having a pour of WT 81 rye because I wasn't @#$%^ paying attention when I bought it (thought I had stumbled upon a WT 101 rye). It isn't "bad", but it is sort of like drinking watered-down lite beer vs real beer. Actually reminds me more of scotch than rye whiskey for some reason. I think this is my second pour from the bottle, and seriously thinking of dumping it just to make room for something else.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

I opened a 2012 Sazerac 18 and it's as stellar as any of the other years. I am getting a lot of anise on the front of the palate which I am enjoying quite a bit - I am not sure if the other years had this much licorice taste up front, so I will crack a 2009 or 2010 before this one is empty and do a direct comparison. Could be a temporary palate thing too though. On a side note, I have found eating peanut butter before sipping rye is an awesome combination and really brings out the flavor in the older whiskeys, kind of the exact opposite of a spicy meal.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 11-16-2012 at 18:44.

Virtuoso

Just had a quick sample snort of Jefferson's 10. Survey says: better go back for another bottle!
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Every pour, of every Handy, of every year, on every night, has been just like the pour I am sipping on now...mind-numbing spectacularness! My Goodness, what a treat. But, it even gets better for me later...I glimpsed down at the last 1-1/2" left in this bottle, and there is a healthy layer of char coating the bottom of the bottle, just waiting for me...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012

Just cracked open a HW 16 and am thoroughly enjoying it... Too bad I only have 2 375's as this is some delicious Rye

Connoisseur

Some saz 18 last night. Spicy, dry, sweet, herby, all the things you look for in a classic rye!
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery