Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012

Just some garden variety Beam until my local get the holiday supplies in.

Connoisseur

I had some VWFRR and V21 yesterday. I hate to break it to the suckers who stood in line for hours, but the V21 easily surpassed the Van Winkle - it was smoother and had more flavor.

Guru

Never done a side by side, but just going by memory I'd put them on a fairly level playing field. My have to put that to the test soon.

Connoisseur

Don't get me wrong, the VWFRR is very good and easily in the upper echelon of American whiskeys. However, the Vintage 21 has more baking spice and wood flavor, which I prefer. The bigger difference is that the V21 is a much smoother whiskey when had neat. While the VW is creamy, it is a little more rough around the edges. I will buy either one in a heartbeat, but if forced to choose, the V21 would be my pick.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Don't get me wrong, the VWFRR is very good and easily in the upper echelon of American whiskeys. However, the Vintage 21 has more baking spice and wood flavor, which I prefer. The bigger difference is that the V21 is a much smoother whiskey when had neat. While the VW is creamy, it is a little more rough around the edges. I will buy either one in a heartbeat, but if forced to choose, the V21 would be my pick.
    Well, maybe you could forgo the "sucker" comment, then?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012

My second try at THH tonight - I poured a dram and let it sit for 30-40 min (covered the glass) and its is much better the second time around.

I got the spices like last time but also noticed vanilla, freshly cut pine lumber, faint traces of bananas-foster... I like it but I think it still takes a back seat to Saz18.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Well, maybe you could forgo the "sucker" comment, then?
    I wish no offense, but I will have to stand by that particular comment. VW rye is certainly good and one would definitely not be a sucker for buying it at anything under $85ish. Hell, I might just pay $100. However, there is no whiskey worth standing in line for hours to obtain a sole bottle, especially when better bottles can be found on the shelves all year long - this is where my comment was directed. Also, the stores that make people do the cattle call BS can suck it.
    /
    Last edited by LostBottle; 11-23-2012 at 19:42.

Guru

I wish no offense, but I will have to stand by that particular comment. VW rye is certainly good and one would definitely not be a sucker for buying it at anything under $85ish. Hell, I might just pay $100. However, there is no whiskey worth standing in line for hours to obtain a sole bottle, especially when better bottles can be found on the shelves all year long - this is where my comment was directed. Also, the stores that make people do the cattle call BS can suck it.
    /
    Your local stores seem to have a better stock than mine. Never seen Vintage Rye on the shelf (or anywhere else) in the stores I frequent and it doesn't seem to be readily available at internet retailers that would ship to me, even if I was willing to pay the shipping cost on top of the cost of the bottle. I have at least seen the VWFRR (admittedly only once, at which point I promptly bought it) and I didn't even have to stand in line.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

/
    Like I said, you could have said that, in your opinion, the V21 is better than the VWFRR. And, stopped there. If you have a problem with certain retailers distribution tactics, or if you want to take shots at the board members who wish to participate in these events, then that's for another thread.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

I think we need to get back on the subject of the thread here. I'll start last weekend I did a rye run of WTR 101, Saz 18, and Ritt 23. I had planned to do some Handy as well but I don't think I got that far as I did a couple pours of some of these.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.