Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    I think we need to get back on the subject of the thread here. I'll start last weekend I did a rye run of WTR 101, Saz 18, and Ritt 23. I had planned to do some Handy as well but I don't think I got that far as I did a couple pours of some of these.
    Nice selection! The WTR 101 was my favorite reasonably-priced drinker/mixer. I enjoyed it much more than Ritt BIB and will miss it once the little bit in my bottle is gone.

Taster

What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Nice selection! The WTR 101 was my favorite reasonably-priced drinker/mixer. I enjoyed it much more than Ritt BIB and will miss it once the little bit in my bottle is gone.
    Just picked up another bottle of WTR101 from a store one town over from me. A few weeks ago they still had nine bottles on the shelf, but I've wittled them down to a lone bottle that I'm leaving for someone else to find.

So glad I found this store, because I also prefer WTR101 to the other commonly available ryes. Good stuff.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TheOakMonster View Post
    Just picked up another bottle of WTR101 from a store one town over from me. A few weeks ago they still had nine bottles on the shelf, but I've wittled them down to a lone bottle that I'm leaving for someone else to find.

So glad I found this store, because I also prefer WTR101 to the other commonly available ryes. Good stuff.
    I agree...particularly after the ultra-bland Templeton Rye I've been drinking lately which was gifted to me for my birthday. I would never purchase this stuff for myself at its current price point.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Novice

Noticed the change in Templeton labeling. Newer blander stuff does not have the Batch/Barrel numbers on the back. Might have to squirrel away a few of the older if I can find them. Have had a few Templetons that were notable and a few that were unremarkable. One thing I have noticed is that if a good amount of Whiskey is on the docket for the evening, Templeton treats me pretty well the next morning.
    Have to say the opposite for the other Delaware Phoenix Rye that I've been enjoying. Tastes young but I appreciate the uniqueness of the flavor, a little grassy and bright and really sings with a small amount of water as well. But man, two lowballs of that and I can tell the next day.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by The Boozer View Post
    Enjoying a little Ritt BiB. First nip in a couple of weeks. Love this and excited that it has finally made it on the Michigan list. Now we just have to get some shipments in.
    Don't mean to quote myself but today was able to pick up two bottles of Ritt BiB at a Michigan store!! Both bottles are DSP 354,

Guru

Yellow label Beam.

Virtuoso

Bulleit Rye. Been a while since I had a pour of this.

Connoisseur

Some Willett 5yr and some Baby Saz. Two totally different ryes, but both are really yummy .
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Guru

Still working on the Beam.

Connoisseur

Budget bottle - I recently opened a bottle of Old Overholt and have had 2 tastings to date. I must say - this is pretty good stuff! All the jokes about 'Old Overcoat' and such may have been true in the past (or to some palates), but I find this juice quite tasty. The first pour has a sweet tip, a mild rye-pepper middle and a light wood finish - no hard edges to be seen. On the second pour, the rye started building it's peppery base. My second tasting had less sweetness in the front, but still quite good. At a sale price of about half of RittBIB, a 4 year age statement and a typical rye profile, I'ma likin'! I hope the rest of the bottle holds up. (Sure, it's not as good as RittBIB, but it's better than half as good)