Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    Budget bottle - I recently opened a bottle of Old Overholt and have had 2 tastings to date. I must say - this is pretty good stuff! All the jokes about 'Old Overcoat' and such may have been true in the past (or to some palates), but I find this juice quite tasty. The first pour has a sweet tip, a mild rye-pepper middle and a light wood finish - no hard edges to be seen. On the second pour, the rye started building it's peppery base. My second tasting had less sweetness in the front, but still quite good. At a sale price of about half of RittBIB, a 4 year age statement and a typical rye profile, I'ma likin'! I hope the rest of the bottle holds up. (Sure, it's not as good as RittBIB, but it's better than half as good)
    Try vatting it about 1:1 or even 1:2 with Old Forester Signature. You might be pleasantly surprised.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Disciple

What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012

Seems like Old Overcoat is a reference to a bottle of whiskey in an old cartoon rather than a criticism of the juice, but my memory may be fuzzy. I think most people like OO alright.

I personally think OO is pretty good, definitely good for the price. I buy one now and then when I see them - not available here.
    Jim

Connoisseur

I remember references to "Old Overcoat" from when I was too young to understand what whiskey was except that my grandfather like having a glass of it with ice after dinner, and that it tasted really yucky!

I'm going to guess it was from Mad Magazine or some comic book or detective parody, circa 1968-72.

I should probably buy a bottle and try it, which I haven't done just yet. It's a cheap experiment, to be sure, and it can be found in nearly all liquor stores in Massachusetts.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    Budget bottle - I recently opened a bottle of Old Overholt and have had 2 tastings to date. I must say - this is pretty good stuff! All the jokes about 'Old Overcoat' and such may have been true in the past (or to some palates), but I find this juice quite tasty. The first pour has a sweet tip, a mild rye-pepper middle and a light wood finish - no hard edges to be seen. On the second pour, the rye started building it's peppery base. My second tasting had less sweetness in the front, but still quite good. At a sale price of about half of RittBIB, a 4 year age statement and a typical rye profile, I'ma likin'! I hope the rest of the bottle holds up. (Sure, it's not as good as RittBIB, but it's better than half as good)
    Couldn't agree more there Will... and my 'first try' bottle came from your way as well. It's down to about half now so I will probably have to replace it next year

Guru

Day three of my whiskey advent calendar and it's Rendezvous Rye up to bat.

Connoisseur

What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Day three of my whiskey advent calendar and it's Rendezvous Rye up to bat.
    Whiskey advent calendar, Genius!

Guru

Yellow label Beam

Connoisseur

Got my hands on the new Pepper Rye. Pretty good but not a day over 2 years old for sure. For $25 a bottle and 100pf, it's got a home on my shelf as long as I can get it! Think Bulleit Rye with more youth and spice.

Also recently got a bottle of "baby" Saz. Seems younger than my last bottle, but still a very refreshing rye.

After taking stock of my ryes, I realized just how much I actually have:
    Rittenhouse, Pikesville, Old Overholt, Knob Creek, Sazerac, Dad's Hat, Dad's Hat unaged, Delaware Phoenix unaged, Wild Turkey 101, Wild Turkey 81, Russell's Reserve, and Van Winkle Family Reserve. I have unopened bottles of Michter's and Hirsch 21 rye too.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Advanced Taster

Drinking some "B" batch VWFRR. It may be a victim of my extremely high expectations, because this is typically one of my favorite American whiskies, but this bottle is falling a little flat. It's still enjoyable, but the finish isn't what I remember and overall it tastes more sour than spicy. Hmm... I think I have an older bottling somewhere. It'd be interesting to taste them blind and see if I'm off base or not.

Disciple

A little Whistle Pig as the final pour of the night and I must say the 100% rye mashbill is really on key tonight.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski