Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Some WT81 Rye (which I picked up not paying attention, as I thought it was 101 Rye). There isn't anything objectionable about it - just lacks "more". Think I'll keep this bottle around just to remind me how lovely my other ryes are
    That is the kindest comment I've read on the 81.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    That is the kindest comment I've read on the 81.
    At first I was like "WTF is THIS?!?!" but then I realized that I couldn't expect much from an 81 proof anything, and comparing to all of my other ryes would not be a fair comparison. After I got over the huge disappointment, I tried to focus on the flavor and thought "Well . . . it isn't BAD . . . it just isn't ENOUGH".

Unfortunately, I may never buy a WTR101 if I have the chance now (unless I can taste it at some upcoming Georgia meeting in the future???)
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Opened a Saz 18 tonight... Darn tasty Rye and am very happy I was able to procure 2 bottles when I had the chance

Virtuoso

Unfortunately, I may never buy a WTR101 if I have the chance now (unless I can taste it at some upcoming Georgia meeting in the future???)
    You definitely want to get a bottle of 101 if you can find one. It's no contest between the two, trust me.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

At first I was like "WTF is THIS?!?!" but then I realized that I couldn't expect much from an 81 proof anything, and comparing to all of my other ryes would not be a fair comparison. After I got over the huge disappointment, I tried to focus on the flavor and thought "Well . . . it isn't BAD . . . it just isn't ENOUGH".

It's here! Stop on by!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Of course it's fair! Why does WT get a pass on comparing its newest product to the other ryes out there? Seriously, what are you talking about? And why should you not expect much from an 81pf whiskey? Wouldn't you expect that a producer worth their salt should release a drinkable product that stacks up well against the competition?

Its comparison to its peers is a big part of why it sucks (apparently, I haven't tasted it myself). Then it sucks quadruply for replacing the nicely done, well priced WTR101.

Most everyone here prefers their whiskey at or above 86pf, but that's all the more reason to judge WT harshly for releasing a product so worthless to us. Then again, your notes suggest that the WTR81 isn't as bad as other comments I've seen.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Most everyone here prefers their whiskey at or above 86pf, but that's all the more reason to judge WT harshly for releasing a product so worthless to us. Then again, your notes suggest that the WTR81 isn't as bad as other comments I've seen.
    I also prefer higher proof whiskey (as I said, I bought this one by accident). I can't say I wasn't disappointed, but I wouldn't compare Old Rip 90 to GTS - while I think both are excellent for what they are. What I meant was more along the lines of "If I wanted a weak 81 proof rye, this would probably line up to those expectations".

I've thrown bottles away (or left them on a table with a note "Free to any home") that I just couldn't stand to drink (like Watkins Select), but I didn't think this was that bad. I would categorize this as "drinkable", but not something I'd buy again. Maybe I'll change my mind after a few more tastes though.

Joe - I see someone caught my shameless hint!! I'll definitely try some at the next meetup!
    Gary
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Wouldn't you expect that a producer worth their salt should release a drinkable product that stacks up well against the competition?

Its comparison to its peers is a big part of why it sucks.
    Well, it's peers are Jim Beam Rye, Old Overholt, Rittenhouse 80 proof, Pikesville and maybe Fleishmann's. How does it compare to those?

This is not meant to be a provocative question. I have no access to any of these Ryes. I'm honestly wondering, because I can't remember reading tons of great accolades for any of these brands.
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Smithford View Post
    Well, it's peers are Jim Beam Rye, Old Overholt, Rittenhouse 80 proof, Pikesville and maybe Fleishmann's. How does it compare to those?

This is not meant to be a provocative question. I have no access to any of these Ryes. I'm honestly wondering, because I can't remember reading tons of great accolades for any of these brands.
    I'm not sure - I don't have any of those on-hand, although I may be able to pick up an airplane bottle of JBR. But I think you nailed it - every dram out there isn't meant to compete with every other dram. I think this WT81 is aimed at the market which prefers lower proof, smoother whiskey. Unfortunately, I'm not in that market - but like I said, I haven't dumped the bottle either. If an outfit like WT is producing it though, my guess is they've done some market research and believe there is a demand for it. Keep in mind - Jack Daniels and Jim Beam are the top two best selling American whiskeys, and I don't care much for either of those (I'd take #3 EWB anytime over those two). But that sort of reminds me that there is a huge market for what I would call "highly ordinary" whiskey.
    Gary

Disciple

Whistlepig after lunch today,wow this stuff is precariously drinkable to the point it may get me in trouble!It's so different from many of my other ryes, the 100% mashbill really seems to do it for me, I really enjoy the" prickly pear sweetness"in this rye