Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 57 of 98 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

Put up the tree and started the egg nog season simultaneously at our house. I have a lot of open bottles that need to be finished off...most of which I was not enamored in terms of standing alone. For starters, we started polishing off about 1/2 of a WTR101, proceeded on to the Corner Creek and finished off the remainder of an OGD BIB. I look forward to continuing this in the weeks ahead.
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

Connoisseur

I tried a pour of Hancock President's Reserve (ordered neat) at Boston's Top of the Hub restaurant when there on Saturday with family for an anniversary dinner.

Ordered as we sat down (and we had a fantastic waitress and service all night, I should add), I tasted sweet vanilla, oak distinctly present but not overpowering, a little fruit, and a nice long finish.

It cost $16 to order (they charge extra for the view from the 52nd floor, I'd say) and I think they measured it out at 1.75 ounces, but it was decent enough for me to consider picking up a bottle if it goes on sale; I seem to remember it's around $45 or so at a local store.
    Last edited by Kalessin; 11-26-2012 at 11:59.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
    I tried a pour of Hancock President's Reserve (ordered neat) at Boston's Top of the Hub restaurant when there on Saturday with family for an anniversary dinner.

Ordered as we sat down (and we had a fantastic waitress and service all night, I should add), I tasted sweet vanilla, oak distinctly present but not overpowering, a little fruit, and a nice long finish.

It cost $16 to order (they charge extra for the view from the 52nd floor, I'd say) and I think they measured it out at 1.75 ounces, but it was decent enough for me to consider picking up a bottle if it goes on sale; I seem to remember it's around $45 or so at a local store.
    Every time that I try the Hancock's I am pleasantly surprised, but it's hard to find. Be sure to scout around on the pricing. BT lowered the pricing significantly a couple of years ago, form the mid-upper $40's, to upper-$20's. But, several retailers still go with the higher price. It's a good deal at the lower price, IMO.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

I opened and am really enjoying a K&L bottling of Four Roses Single Barrel OBSO. I prefer it to this year's FR LE Small Batch, which I also have open, and think it's one of the nicest Four Roses I've tasted. It's just under 12 years old, yet doesn't have the overt woodiness I'd expect. It tastes well-aged, but still has a lot of fruitiness (I pick up some berry and jam flavors in the finish). This is my first experience with the OBSO, so that may also be a function of the yeast.

Guru

Starting the cocktail hour with 6 yr 86 proof Barton.

Connoisseur

I mixed it up alittle bit tonight. Started out with some Mellow Corn, and now some OE 7yr.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Advanced Taster

I had some friends over to play pool a couple nights ago and was able to get them to put their beers down and try some of my bourbon. We had pours of WLW, GTS, Saz 18, JPS18, VOB BiB, FRSB, CEHT BP and probably a few others. We had a great time even though one of my friends broke the cork off in my Saz bottle, I got it removed, no harm no foul.
    Jim

Disciple

WTKS with a dark top. How I miss this stuff.

Enthusiast

WL Weller 12. Will follow up with some Rittenhouse Rye.

Guru

Some lovely SB Blend (60 OWA/40 W12) after several days of abstaining thanks to a sore throat. Maybe it is that I haven't had any bourbon in a while, but this tastes remarkable tonight! If I was blindfolded and asked to put a price on this, it'd be $40+ a bottle (when the mix runs somewhere in the $25 range). Great stuff!!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins