Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 80 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
Results 791 to 800 of 971
  1. #791
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    948

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    Had a few pours of Jefferson 10 rye and now my neighbor stopped by and we are doing a VW night starting with ORVW 10/107, then Lot B and a bit of PVW 20... Throwing a little CEHT Tornado in and then we added a bonded DSP-414 old forester for kicks, 1970s Old Overholt, and a bit of VWFRR

    That Old Overholt dusty is to die for! I had the pleasure of trying a bottle from the 80's, it was phenomenal whiskey and smelled like sticking your head in a barrel of licorice.

  2. #792

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

    Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    That Old Overholt dusty is to die for! I had the pleasure of trying a bottle from the 80's, it was phenomenal whiskey and smelled like sticking your head in a barrel of licorice.

    It is also such a smooth drinking whiskey... it goes down like it is half the listed 86 proof. Given a choice between VWFRR and the dusty OO my wife always chooses the dusty Overholt... I just wish I could find a case of it but I only seem to come across individual bottles occasionally

  3. #793
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    539

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

    Opened up my Angels Envy. Definitely different. Can smell the port finish on the nose. Has a different taste to it. Not my cup of bourbon but it isn't bad per se. I will come back to it later and see if it changes my mind. I will say the lower proof is a bit of drag on this but can be overlooked a bit with what I am tasting.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

  4. #794
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,823

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

    Quote Originally Posted by oke&coke View Post
    Opened up my Angels Envy. Definitely different. Can smell the port finish on the nose. Has a different taste to it. Not my cup of bourbon but it isn't bad per se. I will come back to it later and see if it changes my mind. I will say the lower proof is a bit of drag on this but can be overlooked a bit with what I am tasting.
    I happen to love the stuff but it's definitely not for everyone. Give it another whirl in a few days and see what you think. It may have greater appeal to those who also love scotch due to the unusual port finish.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  5. #795
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    36

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

    VOB 6 year old BIB that I picked up on my Thanksgiving trip to KY. This is really what does it for me. Extremely well balanced with a surprising amount of complexity to boot.....for.....wait for it......$12!!!! This would probably be my new go to - but we don't carry it in NC! Ridiculous value. Enjoyed the hell out of it.

  6. #796
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    5,859

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

    Feeling pretty dang good sipping on a OWA/Vernor's Ginger Ale, while walking outside and evaluating my lighted outside Christmas decorations. BTW, this years new addition, the lighted shooting star, is quite nice. Lookin' good! Vernor's makes a really interesting mixer. It's got a unique flavor that gives more pop to the typical whiskey and ginger. But, you can't really screw up OWA, can ya'?

    Glancing over at the old timey lighted plastic Santy Claus and Frosty the Snowman...sweeeeeet!
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  7. #797
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,823

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Feeling pretty dang good sipping on a OWA/Vernor's Ginger Ale, while walking outside and evaluating my lighted outside Christmas decorations. BTW, this years new addition, the lighted shooting star, is quite nice. Lookin' good! Vernor's makes a really interesting mixer. It's got a unique flavor that gives more pop to the typical whiskey and ginger. But, you can't really screw up OWA, can ya'?

    Glancing over at the old timey lighted plastic Santy Claus and Frosty the Snowman...sweeeeeet!
    Where did you find Vernor's down in your neck of the woods, Joe? Try it with Rittenhouse Rye for a real treat!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  8. #798
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,568

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

    Grand Dad BIB, didn't think of Vernors as a mixer, may try that sometime.

  9. #799
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    5,859

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Where did you find Vernor's down in your neck of the woods, Joe? Try it with Rittenhouse Rye for a real treat!
    Surprisingly Hank, Vernor's has been distributed here in Georgia for several years. Of course, I've dug it since I was a kid when Granpa Leo and Granma Mary used to bring it to us when they would visit from Cleveland. I've loved it since! I'll try it with that Ritt , next!
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  10. #800
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northville, MI
    Posts
    1,240

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

    PHC 2012 tonight while watching the Lions.

    Best regards, Tony

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012
    By OscarV in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 220
    Last Post: 12-30-2012, 21:24
  2. What bourbon are you drinking today - Summer 2012
    By jcg9779 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 780
    Last Post: 09-22-2012, 07:00
  3. What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Autumn 2008
    By OscarV in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 270
    Last Post: 12-17-2008, 12:38
  4. Autumn inspired whiskeys
    By Jono in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-17-2002, 23:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top