Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 80 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    Had a few pours of Jefferson 10 rye and now my neighbor stopped by and we are doing a VW night starting with ORVW 10/107, then Lot B and a bit of PVW 20... Throwing a little CEHT Tornado in and then we added a bonded DSP-414 old forester for kicks, 1970s Old Overholt, and a bit of VWFRR

That Old Overholt dusty is to die for! I had the pleasure of trying a bottle from the 80's, it was phenomenal whiskey and smelled like sticking your head in a barrel of licorice.

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    That Old Overholt dusty is to die for! I had the pleasure of trying a bottle from the 80's, it was phenomenal whiskey and smelled like sticking your head in a barrel of licorice.

It is also such a smooth drinking whiskey... it goes down like it is half the listed 86 proof. Given a choice between VWFRR and the dusty OO my wife always chooses the dusty Overholt... I just wish I could find a case of it but I only seem to come across individual bottles occasionally

Connoisseur

Opened up my Angels Envy. Definitely different. Can smell the port finish on the nose. Has a different taste to it. Not my cup of bourbon but it isn't bad per se. I will come back to it later and see if it changes my mind. I will say the lower proof is a bit of drag on this but can be overlooked a bit with what I am tasting.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by oke&coke View Post
    Opened up my Angels Envy. Definitely different. Can smell the port finish on the nose. Has a different taste to it. Not my cup of bourbon but it isn't bad per se. I will come back to it later and see if it changes my mind. I will say the lower proof is a bit of drag on this but can be overlooked a bit with what I am tasting.
    I happen to love the stuff but it's definitely not for everyone. Give it another whirl in a few days and see what you think. It may have greater appeal to those who also love scotch due to the unusual port finish.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Apprentice

VOB 6 year old BIB that I picked up on my Thanksgiving trip to KY. This is really what does it for me. Extremely well balanced with a surprising amount of complexity to boot.....for.....wait for it......$12!!!! This would probably be my new go to - but we don't carry it in NC! Ridiculous value. Enjoyed the hell out of it.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Feeling pretty dang good sipping on a OWA/Vernor's Ginger Ale, while walking outside and evaluating my lighted outside Christmas decorations. BTW, this years new addition, the lighted shooting star, is quite nice. Lookin' good! Vernor's makes a really interesting mixer. It's got a unique flavor that gives more pop to the typical whiskey and ginger. But, you can't really screw up OWA, can ya'?

Glancing over at the old timey lighted plastic Santy Claus and Frosty the Snowman...sweeeeeet!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Feeling pretty dang good sipping on a OWA/Vernor's Ginger Ale, while walking outside and evaluating my lighted outside Christmas decorations. BTW, this years new addition, the lighted shooting star, is quite nice. Lookin' good! Vernor's makes a really interesting mixer. It's got a unique flavor that gives more pop to the typical whiskey and ginger. But, you can't really screw up OWA, can ya'?

Glancing over at the old timey lighted plastic Santy Claus and Frosty the Snowman...sweeeeeet!
    Where did you find Vernor's down in your neck of the woods, Joe? Try it with Rittenhouse Rye for a real treat!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Grand Dad BIB, didn't think of Vernors as a mixer, may try that sometime.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Where did you find Vernor's down in your neck of the woods, Joe? Try it with Rittenhouse Rye for a real treat!
    Surprisingly Hank, Vernor's has been distributed here in Georgia for several years. Of course, I've dug it since I was a kid when Granpa Leo and Granma Mary used to bring it to us when they would visit from Cleveland. I've loved it since! I'll try it with that Ritt , next!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

PHC 2012 tonight while watching the Lions.

Best regards, Tony