Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Alberta Springs Dark Horse 45% ABV

Wow! A new whisky that sings out the pot still advertised on the label! Big flavours of cassis, sweet wood, slate and petrol, with a soft finish that seems to show new charred barrel influence. I always "wanted" the real flavouring whisky, and I finally got it. True enough, it's a blend, apparently of 12 year old whisky and a younger pot still element, but again the pot still is very forward. Not at all like U.S. straight rye or even Whistle Pig. No age is mentioned on the label. Closest to this in the past is Lot 40 but that's only approximate.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 09-22-2012 at 12:38.

Guru

Re: Alberta Springs Dark Horse 45% ABV

Any idea where one might find this one? Is it a Canada only bottling?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

So far I believe Alberta and Ontario in Canada, but most Canadian bottlings seem to get to the U.S. now and some get there first, e.g. Crown Royal XR Lasalle.

Gary

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    So far I believe Alberta and Ontario in Canada, but most Canadian bottlings seem to get to the U.S. now and some get there first, e.g. Crown Royal XR Lasalle.

Gary
    I don't think Alberta Springs sends anything to the US.

Advanced Taster

I picked up a bottle...i found it has some similar flavour notes to Mastersons. Definately way better than Crown Royal Black. For the price it's a great deal no doubt.

Connoisseur

Having a glass of this now. I should point out that it is Alberta Premium, not Alberta Springs. Therefore, pure rye. It is quite nice indeed, and very smooth for 90 proof. It definitely has the slate/flint elements of normal Alberta Premium but also much more fruit. For me this falls under the "dangerously drinkable" category.

Thanks for the correction on the name, and good notes! I do however find this way more flavourful than the usual Alberta Distillers products.

Gary

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    I should point out that it is Alberta Premium ... Therefore, pure rye.
    I'm not sure that is the case. Other Alberta Premium expressions that I'm aware of (regular and 30 year old) state "100% rye grain" on the label, this one does not!

The back label states:
    Dark Horse was crafted for the next generation of whisky connoisseurs who are ready for a bolder, richer tasting Canadian whisky. Expertly distilled using our finest Canadian Prairie rye grain, Dark Horse is blended at a higher strength with a small pot distilled batch that has been aged in handpicked charred oak barrels. The result is an ultra smooth rye whisky that imparts flavours of vanilla, smoke, sweet oak, and blackcurrant.

The fact that they have left out the "100% rye grain" tells me it is NOT all grain. I have sent an email to Beam asking for clarification - not surprisingly they have not answered.

Enthusiast

Word on twitter (#APDarkHorse) is that it is only* 91% rye plus 8.5% corn whisky and 0.5% sherry. Not sure what that means exactly but it appears two component aged whiskies are blended together with some sherry (wine?) thrown in.

*I say "only" because other Alberta Premiums are 100% rye grain.

Advanced Taster

I just picked up a bottle of Alberta Premium Dark Horse in Windsor, Ontario, Detroit, MI's neighbor across the river (at the LCBO Ontario provincial liquor store) for $29.95 Canadian (750 ml bottle). This is a truly outstanding and complex rye (and a very good value). Per Davin de Kergommeaux canadian whisky site, Alberta Premium Dark Horse is 91% rye grain, 8% to 8.5% bourbon, and 0.5% to 1.0% sherry. The whisky is a comprised of 12 year old (at least 51%) and 6 year old (at least 40%) whiskies.

There are a number of Canadian whiskies that are never sold here in the states. I believe that Alberta Premium’s whiskies are currently only available in Canada.
    Last edited by Shell; 12-02-2012 at 21:11.