Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Guru

Re: Alberta Springs Dark Horse 45% ABV

Frankly, I think the Canadian rules make a lot of sense because they give the maker flexibility.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

That was always the rationale here, indeed. From what I have read, in the early days we had all kinds of whiskey here, straight, blended, with some being malt-driven (Scots-type), some more Irish, many American-type. Finally, the CC type of whisky became identified with the Canadian taste but the law never was codified to refer only to that type. It was different in the States where you had a strong tradition of bourbon distilling in Kentucky and it became a major spirit, not just in the States but world-wide. So the law, while also fairly flexible there in terms of the types of whisky that can be made, seemed more concerned to demarcate the different types. Canada's rules are closer to the U.K.'s for Scotch whisky actually. There too you have a fairly wide approach in the law even though malt whisky and blended became the two categories made, at least in modern times.

We need now IMO in Canada to distill and age more straight-type whiskey, i.e. whisky distilled out at a low proof whether aged in new charred oak or not. This will result in a wider range of palates available than at present. We are currently more in a middle phase where a number of characterful products have been released but they for the most part do not break with the CC template, IMO.

Gary

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    We need now IMO in Canada to distill and age more straight-type whiskey, i.e. whisky distilled out at a low proof whether aged in new charred oak or not. This will result in a wider range of palates available than at present.
    The problem isn't lack of quality distillate or aged whisky in warehouses, but an unwillingness to bottle it:
    - in small batches
    - no additives
    - un-chillfiltered
    - >40% ABV

If the likes of Whistlepig, Jeffersons 10, and Masterson's 10 are an indication, quality stuff ALREADY EXISTS inside Canadian warehouses, the problem is that no-one in Canada seems willing to bottle such a product. It appears Canadian distillers (mostly owned by foreign multinationals) would rather sell it in bulk to American pretend-distilleries to re-package in fancy containers with tiny "made in Canada" printed on the back label.

Maybe, but I'm not sure they have enough flavouring whiskey as they call it for commercial release. I've heard they only distill enough to add to grain whisky to make the blends. Also, CC presumably doesn't have any unblended straight stuff since it is all blended at birth. So one huge producer has none to offer to begin with (I infer)...

Gary

Enthusiast

I'm thinking what a Canadian Club 10yr 46% UCF would taste like...

Disciple

I would even settle to have 10 Canadian Club back period. I bunkered quite a bit after it showed up on shelves dropped down to 9 years in age!

Thomas

Tom, the two are side-by-side on the shelf here so I'm not sure the 10 is being replaced.

Gary