Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 230
  1. #21
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,872

    Re: What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

    Oskar Blues Old Chub kills! I'm really digging this brewery. Has anybody had their Pils?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  2. #22
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    222

    Re: What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Oskar Blues Old Chub kills! I'm really digging this brewery. Has anybody had their Pils?
    Unclebunk,

    I've had the Oskar Blues Pils. Here's what I wrote about it at the time, from somewhere in the depths of the "What Beer Are You Drinking Summer 2012" thread:

    "Bought a 6-pack of Oskar Blues "Mama's Little Pils." After one can, I'm underwhelmed. It's definitely not bad, but it falls into a middle ground between the crispness I like in Czechvar and the cloying, corny sweetness I don't like in cheaper offerings like Simpler Times Pilsner (hey -- at 50 cents a can it was worth a try). Basically, the Oskar Blues has no defining characteristics. Plus, it's got a pretty funky finish and aftertaste."

    My opinion didn't really improve after finishing the rest of the 6-pack. I guess I just like a crisper, less sweet Pils.

  3. #23
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,722

    Re: What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Oskar Blues Old Chub kills! I'm really digging this brewery. Has anybody had their Pils?
    I've had their Pils and quite honestly I wasn't impressed with it. I've had Dale's Pale Ale, Deviant Dale's, Good K'night, Gubna, Old Chub, and Ten Fidy and I've really enjoyed them all...the Pils was the only one that was a miss for me.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

  4. #24
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,872

    Re: What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

    Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post
    Unclebunk,

    I've had the Oskar Blues Pils. Here's what I wrote about it at the time, from somewhere in the depths of the "What Beer Are You Drinking Summer 2012" thread:

    "Bought a 6-pack of Oskar Blues "Mama's Little Pils." After one can, I'm underwhelmed. It's definitely not bad, but it falls into a middle ground between the crispness I like in Czechvar and the cloying, corny sweetness I don't like in cheaper offerings like Simpler Times Pilsner (hey -- at 50 cents a can it was worth a try). Basically, the Oskar Blues has no defining characteristics. Plus, it's got a pretty funky finish and aftertaste."

    My opinion didn't really improve after finishing the rest of the 6-pack. I guess I just like a crisper, less sweet Pils.
    Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    I've had their Pils and quite honestly I wasn't impressed with it. I've had Dale's Pale Ale, Deviant Dale's, Good K'night, Gubna, Old Chub, and Ten Fidy and I've really enjoyed them all...the Pils was the only one that was a miss for me.
    Thanks for the info, boys. I think I'll steer clear of the Oskar Blues Pils for the time being and see if I can find the Gubna and Ten Fidy. So far, all I'm seeing on the shelves is the Dale's Pale and the Old Chub, with the nod going to the DP. Now, on to the Half Acre beers and more Revolution Porter.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  5. #25
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chicago 'burbs
    Posts
    1,120

    Re: What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

    I had a few Old Chub last night watching da Bears show excellent progress towards world domination. I was a little disappointed with the beer. I had heard it compares well to Founder's Dirty Bastard, but that wasn't the case for me. The OC was much sweeter and a good deal less hoppy. Next stop: revisit Robert the Bruce.

    I had some 3 Floyds Zes Zes Zes and Rye'da Tiger the other night. The ZZZ is a golden, bready Belgian-style ale with a scrumptious hop finish: super fresh, nuanced and well-balanced. The Rye'da had a nice rye bite in the body with a gushing hop finish. Very tasty, though I would have liked a bit more carbonation to break up the nectar-y texture of it - may have been a bad bottle top.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

  6. #26
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,872

    Re: What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I had a few Old Chub last night watching da Bears show excellent progress towards world domination. I was a little disappointed with the beer. I had heard it compares well to Founder's Dirty Bastard, but that wasn't the case for me. The OC was much sweeter and a good deal less hoppy. Next stop: revisit Robert the Bruce.

    I had some 3 Floyds Zes Zes Zes and Rye'da Tiger the other night. The ZZZ is a golden, bready Belgian-style ale with a scrumptious hop finish: super fresh, nuanced and well-balanced. The Rye'da had a nice rye bite in the body with a gushing hop finish. Very tasty, though I would have liked a bit more carbonation to break up the nectar-y texture of it - may have been a bad bottle top.
    I definitely prefer the Dirty Bastard as well over the Old Chub, though I enjoy both for different reasons. (It's worth noting that many, if not most, genuine Scotch ales are minimally hopped and tend to be on the sweet side due to their maltiness, though my experience of drinking them in Scotland has been that they are also more full-bodied than the Old Chub.) Have you ever had Sam Adams' Scotch Ale? That should be coming aound again soon.
    Last edited by unclebunk; 10-02-2012 at 18:50.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  7. #27
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,285

    Re: What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

    Southern Tier 2x IPA tonight and it's pretty tasty.

  8. #28
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chicago 'burbs
    Posts
    1,120

    Re: What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I definitely prefer the Dirty Bastard as well over the Old Chub, though I enjoy both for different reasons. (It's worth noting that many, if not most, genuine Scotch ales are minimally hopped and tend to be on the sweet side due to their maltiness, though my experience of drinking them in Scotland has been that they are also more full-bodied than the Old Chub.) Have you ever had Sam Adams' Scotch Ale? That should be coming aound again soon.
    I haven't had SA's scotch ale, how does it stack up? I definitely prefer hops to sweet malt when it comes to my beer. Dirty Bastard has this cool, hoppy chocolate note that stays with me and really makes it stand out.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

  9. #29
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,872

    Re: What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I haven't had SA's scotch ale, how does it stack up? I definitely prefer hops to sweet malt when it comes to my beer. Dirty Bastard has this cool, hoppy chocolate note that stays with me and really makes it stand out.
    It's been a year since I've had the Sam Adams Scotch Ale but I've always loved it in years past. It's quite full-bodied but not overly sweet (like my wife), as I recall. Definitely give it a whirl when it pops up again, which ought to be very soon. What do you think of Skull Splitter from Orkney? That's a beauty when paired with a nice pour of HP12.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  10. #30
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Manheim, PA 17545
    Posts
    781

    Re: What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

    You guys are going to laugh at me-

    Reading Premium
    Genesee Cream Ale
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012
    By OscarV in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 220
    Last Post: 12-30-2012, 22:24
  2. What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12
    By callmeox in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 970
    Last Post: 12-20-2012, 22:47
  3. What Beer Are You Drinking? Spring '09
    By funknik in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 244
    Last Post: 09-25-2009, 04:33
  4. Drinking Beer & Whiskey Together
    By dave ziegler in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2008, 13:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top