Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

Schlafly Coffee Stout a great way to end a cold winter evening.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

Fantastic array of beers from Wisconsin micros on Thanksgiving Day (New Glarus, Lakefront, Sprecher's, Tyranena, O'so and more). After all the heavy-hitting hoppy beers I consumed, I decided to go to the other extreme and picked up some Brekle's Brown Ale from Anchor Steam and a sixer of Avery's Ellie's Brown Ale. Both were excellent but I greatly preferred the Ellie's Brown which was richer and had much more body. Yet another great beer from Avery!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Over this long Thanksgiving weekend, beer has been central in all facets of the Holiday; from set-up to clean-up. And, we've enjoyed them all. Even the simple Miller High Life and Budweiser. Sometimes, simple is good. But, have also dug on Sam Adams Winter Lager, Bell's Best Brown Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, SweetWater Low RYEder Rye IPA, Oskar Blues Ten Fidy, 2011 SweetWater Festive Ale, and 21st Amendment Fireside Chat Winter Spiced Ale. Interesting bird that Fireside Chat. You really have to have to be in "the right frame of palate" or pair with the right food accompaniment, for it to shine. If those are on, it's fabulous. When not, it's just too much on the spices. Finally I must confess, the Best-in-Show for the weekend was the 2011 SweetWater Festive Ale. Good show for the local boys. A lot going on in this beer, but it tightly keeps it's balance throughout.

I'm reminded this Thanksgiving of the saying: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Bourbon is also proof...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Quite a few this Thanksgiving weekend. Bell's Two Hearted(always a favorite), got to try Bell's Midwestern Pale Ale(not that great), a Saugatuck IPA, DFH 120 and a Sam Adams.

Best regards, Tony

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Over this long Thanksgiving weekend, beer has been central in all facets of the Holiday; from set-up to clean-up. And, we've enjoyed them all. Even the simple Miller High Life and Budweiser. Sometimes, simple is good. But, have also dug on Sam Adams Winter Lager, Bell's Best Brown Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, SweetWater Low RYEder Rye IPA, Oskar Blues Ten Fidy, 2011 SweetWater Festive Ale, and 21st Amendment Fireside Chat Winter Spiced Ale. Interesting bird that Fireside Chat. You really have to have to be in "the right frame of palate" or pair with the right food accompaniment, for it to shine. If those are on, it's fabulous. When not, it's just too much on the spices. Finally I must confess, the Best-in-Show for the weekend was the 2011 SweetWater Festive Ale. Good show for the local boys. A lot going on in this beer, but it tightly keeps it's balance throughout.

I'm reminded this Thanksgiving of the saying: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Bourbon is also proof...
    Quote Originally Posted by aea6574 View Post
    Quite a few this Thanksgiving weekend. Bell's Two Hearted(always a favorite), got to try Bell's Midwestern Pale Ale(not that great), a Saugatuck IPA, DFH 120 and a Sam Adams.

Best regards, Tony
    Well I guess I just drink more whiskey than you all, as my beer tally is one, but it was a good one, the aforementioned Great Lakes Christmas Ale. Very subtle with light spicing and doesn't show its 7.5% abv. I like it a lot and since the weekend is not over I may make it two before it is .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    What did you think of Backwoods Bastard? I had it for the first time this year, and found it to be pretty respectable. Some insist it's "thin" this year.

And how great is it that there's so much BCBS to be had this year in the Chicago area? I frequent a store in the western 'burbs that has six cases just sitting on the floor. And city Dominicks and Walgreens locations have even been stocking it.
    Really enjoyed it, didn't think it was thin, but I didn't have it last year to compare. Absolutely love that BCBS is going year-round and that it has been plentiful. One of the best beers in the world being widely available in my hometown? Awesome. I've got a couple cases in my cellar, really excited to try them over the next few years.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BAO View Post
    Really enjoyed it, didn't think it was thin, but I didn't have it last year to compare. Absolutely love that BCBS is going year-round and that it has been plentiful. One of the best beers in the world being widely available in my hometown? Awesome. I've got a couple cases in my cellar, really excited to try them over the next few years.
    Fun trying to hunt down the BCS variants. I got a Coffee today and should have a Cherry Rye in hand by tomorrow night.

I've heard different things about BCS going year 'round. I'm meeting Brett Porter Friday night and plan to ask him about it.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BAO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    Fun trying to hunt down the BCS variants. I got a Coffee today and should have a Cherry Rye in hand by tomorrow night.

I've heard different things about BCS going year 'round. I'm meeting Brett Porter Friday night and plan to ask him about it.
    Okay. I give up. What the hell is "BCBS" and why should I seek it out?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Okay. I give up. What the hell is "BCBS" and why should I seek it out?
    Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout. Main Street Liquors in Countryside may still have four packs available.

You should seek it out because it is TEH AWESOME!
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Guru

Working on the Sam Adams Winter Selection.