Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Working on the Sam Adams Winter Selection.
    I opened a case of that last week, for Thanksgiving in the mountains. They are all good, although I don't know why they include the regular Boston Lager.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout. Main Street Liquors in Countryside may still have four packs available.

You should seek it out because it is TEH AWESOME!
    I'm on it! Will be passing by Main Street Liquors today on my way to Kenwood Liquors to replenish a few things that got downed over the holiday weekend. Thanks!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Heard a rumor Samuel Smith's Winter Warmer Ale is on special so if we go to the store today that will be the choice.

Virtuoso

Do you mean Winter Lager?

Guru

Winter Welcome actually, I must have been thinking of the type.

Guru

Still on a brown ale kick and decided to check out Tyranena's (from Wisconsin) Rocky's Revenge, described as an American brown ale with "a portion aged in bourbon barrels." I'm guessing the portion is very small, as there was no discernible bourbon influence that I could detect. Having said that, the beer was quite tasty and well worth the purchase, if only because it had a nice malty flavor and nutty aroma. I don't think Samuel Smith has anything to worry about but this was better than most American attempts at brown ale. As with all ales, the beer improved immensely when it began to warm up a bit, with improved body and head retention after 20 minutes out of the fridge.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Still on a brown ale kick and decided to check out Tyranena's (from Wisconsin) Rocky's Revenge, described as an American brown ale with "a portion aged in bourbon barrels." I'm guessing the portion is very small, as there was no discernible bourbon influence that I could detect. Having said that, the beer was quite tasty and well worth the purchase, if only because it had a nice malty flavor and nutty aroma. I don't think Samuel Smith has anything to worry about but this was better than most American attempts at brown ale. As with all ales, the beer improved immensely when it began to warm up a bit, with improved body and head retention after 20 minutes out of the fridge.
    Tasty brew indeed despite the moderate barrel influence. Did you in fact get some Bourbon County Stout this week? They released bombers of the coffee and cherry variants last week, which set off the usual whale hunt.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Guru

Tasty brew indeed despite the moderate barrel influence. Did you in fact get some Bourbon County Stout this week? They released bombers of the coffee and cherry variants last week, which set off the usual whale hunt.
    Yes. I got a four pack from Main Street but was saving it for tonight. BTW, if you venture as far as Brixie's for beer, have you ever been to Leo's Liquors here in Brookfield? That guy has gone insane in the last year with his microbrewery section and he's now blown past Main Street in terms of selection. Definitely check it out if you haven't already.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Yes. I got a four pack from Main Street but was saving it for tonight. BTW, if you venture as far as Brixie's for beer, have you ever been to Leo's Liquors here in Brookfield? That guy has gone insane in the last year with his microbrewery section and he's now blown past Main Street in terms of selection. Definitely check it out if you haven't already.
    I've heard good things about Leo's from a friend in Riverside but haven't been. I'll take your recommendation and run with it sometime soon.

Speaking of Brixie's, they're doing up Bourbon County Stout with a post-keg vanilla bean infusion tonight. Wish I could make it.
    Last edited by stevegoz; 11-30-2012 at 09:19.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Guru

I've heard good things about Leo's from a friend in Riverside but haven't been. I'll take your recommendation and run with it sometime soon.

Speaking of Brixie's, they're doing up Bourbon County Stout with a post-keg vanilla bean infusion tonight. Wish I could make it.
    Was thinking of wandering over to Brixie's if I can sneak away this evening. (My daughter is having a multi-kid sleepover, so I'm doubting my wife will be too happy about my absence. But it is Bourbon County Stout, after all.) By all means, check Leo's out. Take Ogden past Brixie's and go north (left) on Maple where Dunkin' Donuts is. Stay on Maple over the tracks until you get to the traffic circle (or "roundabout" as my wife continually reminds me) and you'll be looking straight at the place. It looks small but the store goes back quite a way and the whole rear of the store is beer, beer and more beer. Expect to pay an extra buck here and there but the selection is worth it. Happy hunting!