Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

Heck, I'm calling it a day. Had a pretty dang good week. This Bell's Christmas Ale is a pleasant beer to settle down with.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

What didn't I drink tonight? Joined five of my friends in a one-of-a-kind tour of the Goose Island Chicago brewery and barrel houses tonight, conducted by Brewmaster Brett Porter and Barrel-Aging Program Manager John Laffler (who is leaving the company to start his own brewery). The two were very candid and open to our many questions, and we got to try eight or so experimental beers straight from the barrel, including barrel-aged stouts, a barleywine, a few saisons and some interesting variants of existing beers, like a grapefruit version of Sofie. And to top it off, they rotated in a five-gallon keg of Bourbon County Cherry Rye, which is very fruit-forward now but should relax a bit with some age.

One rumor dispelled by Porter: Bourbon County Stout will not be a year-round product, so even though there's still some on shelves now in a few places we shouldn't expect any more shipments of the 2012 batch. On a happier note, Porter said they may in fact do Bourbon County Vanilla again. And, oh yes, it won't be King Henry but there will be a barrel-aged barleywine coming out again.

Bourbon County Stout is aged in Heaven Hill barrels; the Bourbon County Rye is aged in Templeton barrels. They're also experimenting with some Koval barrels, which are only 35 gallons, more because of the unique single-grain whiskeys Koval does than because of the smaller size/accelerated aging.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Virtuoso

Widmer Brothers "Brrr" seasonal ale.

Connoisseur

Pulled out a 2011 Stone RIS. A textbook RIS. Delicious roasted and toasted malt, coffee hints, prune...find it, cellar it, enjoy it.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Virtuoso

2012 Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale. I'm liking it much more than I liked the 2012 Southern Hemisphere Harvest.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    2012 Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale. I'm liking it much more than I liked the 2012 Southern Hemisphere Harvest.
    I picked up a bottle of this today. Looking forward to trying it, I liked both hemispheres' harvest ales last year.
    Jim

Connoisseur

Having this right now. Not much to be said except for delicious.

IMGP2565.jpg

Guru

Had a few bottles of Leffe Brune last night. Very solid Belgian brown ale but tasted better to my recollection when I had it in Belgium and France. Of course, the scenery and atmosphere on those trips made everything taste better!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Yuengling Porter. Yes, it's winter, and yes, I live in Pennsylvania.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Virtuoso

Young's Old Nick Barley Wine Ale. I love this stuff, but it's hard to find around here these days.