Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
    Virtuoso

Re: What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

Some Sierra Nevada Torpedo tonight.

Connoisseur

Had some Yuengling Porter this evening, National Bohemian on Friday, Genesee 12 Horse on Thursday, some Yuengling Black and Tan on Wednesday, and Yuengling Porter and Yuengling Premium at the Pottsville Brewery on Tuesday!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Guru

Strawn American Wheat Ale, Amber Ale and a very interesting and tasty Scottish Export/80 style ale. It is a small brewery in my hometown of Fairburn outside Atlanta just getting started. They are trying to break into the market so I wish them well! Currently everything is kegs for the bar/restaurant market but they hope to start bottling soon. Otherwise the best place to try it is at the brewery, which I did last night.

A bit of a change of pace after hitting the bourbon pretty hard the night before at the GBS Christmas spectacular at Mac McGee!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

I'm enjoying a Red Rock Rêve, a Belgian tripel style beer, at the Red Rock brewpub.
    Jim

Virtuoso

Hopslam by Bell's tonight. Very nice.

Best regards, Tony

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Had a couple of Moretti La Rossa's at family dinner at the local Italian joint. I always forget how enjoyable this beer is, between the 2 times per year that I drink it. Nice malty backbone with a touch of sweetness. Easy drinking, and went well with the Chicken Marsala.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Zombie Dust while watching the Bengals win.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Had a couple of Moretti La Rossa's at family dinner at the local Italian joint. I always forget how enjoyable this beer is, between the 2 times per year that I drink it. Nice malty backbone with a touch of sweetness. Easy drinking, and went well with the Chicken Marsala.
    Funny you should mention this beer, Joe. I went looking for Moretti's Doppio Malto recently and couldn't find it anywhere. I'm wondering if the La Rossa is the same beer with an altered name/label. Your description of the flavor matches the DM which I always loved.
    Last edited by unclebunk; 12-24-2012 at 12:32.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Bass Ale on draft.

This classic from the 70's (whose heyday was actually the 1870's) is a "keg" beer, i.e., a pasteurized, filtered pale ale which differs by its nature from the unpasteurized and often unfiltered craft ales which have held court amongst the aficionados since 1980. There is some naturally-conditioned Bass Draught available still in England, but it is hard to find.

Bass is one of the oldest names in English brewing and this current draft, brewed I understand in the U.S., is very good. It offers a strong flavor of caramel malt, yellow fruits and apples. It reminded me somewhat of a number of Belgian ales, and it wouldn't surprise me if English ales mid-1800's tasted like many Belgian beers do today due probably to use of multi-strain yeasts.

This particular flavour of Bass is not something I embrace at first sip but it grows on you. It is clearly a taste inherited from long ago, no one would "invent" a flavour like this for "today's" market.

Tasted at the Sheraton Hotel, Toronto, tonight which was rather quiet after work, understandably.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 12-24-2012 at 14:24.

Connoisseur

What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

Three Floyd's Zombie Dust! It was fantastic!!!

Mike