Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

Popped open the first Sierra Nevada Celebration of the season today while watching Ga Tech/Duke. Also bought a bomber of the Estate Ale to try as it intrigued me to try the wet hopping style.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Founders 15th Anniversary Bolt Cutter Barleywine and CBS. It has been a killer beer weekend in Grand Rapids.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    BTW, really last minute here, but are you going to FoWaBAB? I'm on my way right now! Train to bus boo-ya! The things I do for beer...
    Great to catch up with you last night! Any standouts from your sampling?

I was really glad to finally get to try F-W's Velvet Merkin stout, which they don't seem to ship to the Chicago market -- second "cakiest" stout I've ever had, just shy of Bourbon County Bramble Rye. Not sure I had a winner in the battle of the local barrel-aged milk stouts; thought Pipeworks BA Jones Dog and Revolution Very Mad Cow were pretty good. The BA Snarling Badger from Grand Teton was interesting -- first time I've had a barrel-treated Berliner Weisse. And that Wild Turkey aged Ten Fidy was pretty nice as well. Only disappointment for me was FFF's BA Behemoth -- I like it just fine in its standard format, but didn't find the barreling to make an improvement to it. Really wish Founder's had been part of the event, and that F-W would've premiered XVI (they must have it ready to go by now, no?).
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Virtuoso

DFH Punk this afternoon.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Advanced Taster

In the past week:

Avery Rumpkin
    Founders Backwoods Bastard
    Pipeworks Abduction
    Pipeworks Hyper Dog
    Two Brothers Revelry
    Two Brothers Heavy Handed
    Great Lakes Christmas Ale
    Great Lakes Nosferatu
    Three Floyd's Alpha Klaus
    Three Floyd's BrooDoo

And, I didn't get to attend FOBAB, so I celebrated at home with a little Goose Island Bourbon County Stout '12.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BAO View Post
    In the past week:

Avery Rumpkin
    Founders Backwoods Bastard
    Pipeworks Abduction
    Pipeworks Hyper Dog
    Two Brothers Revelry
    Two Brothers Heavy Handed
    Great Lakes Christmas Ale
    Great Lakes Nosferatu
    Three Floyd's Alpha Klaus
    Three Floyd's BrooDoo

And, I didn't get to attend FOBAB, so I celebrated at home with a little Goose Island Bourbon County Stout '12.
    What did you think of Backwoods Bastard? I had it for the first time this year, and found it to be pretty respectable. Some insist it's "thin" this year.

And how great is it that there's so much BCBS to be had this year in the Chicago area? I frequent a store in the western 'burbs that has six cases just sitting on the floor. And city Dominicks and Walgreens locations have even been stocking it.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Virtuoso

What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    Great to catch up with you last night! Any standouts from your sampling?

I was really glad to finally get to try F-W's Velvet Merkin stout, which they don't seem to ship to the Chicago market -- second "cakiest" stout I've ever had, just shy of Bourbon County Bramble Rye. Not sure I had a winner in the battle of the local barrel-aged milk stouts; thought Pipeworks BA Jones Dog and Revolution Very Mad Cow were pretty good. The BA Snarling Badger from Grand Teton was interesting -- first time I've had a barrel-treated Berliner Weisse. And that Wild Turkey aged Ten Fidy was pretty nice as well. Only disappointment for me was FFF's BA Behemoth -- I like it just fine in its standard format, but didn't find the barreling to make an improvement to it. Really wish Founder's had been part of the event, and that F-W would've premiered XVI (they must have it ready to go by now, no?).
    I had a great time at the festival - really well done. Any gathering as big and populated as that was where you can still run into people you know is doing it right!

I moved today, so I don't have my program to use as a cheat sheet. One thing that sticks out to me was the Cigar City Humidor IPA. It was aged in (on? with?) Spanish sandalwood, and the wood complemented the IPA just perfectly with resin and grapefruit, really stretched an obviously fantastic IPA in many directions, all positive.

I really liked the aged Ten Fidy, as well as [oh shit I can't remember, get back to you when I find my program]. Also, the flight of BCS aged in different barrels was fascinating. It was a Koval apple brandy barrel, a Cabernet barrel, a BT and a HH. The Koval barrel was quite respectable bringing more fruit to the table (as you might expect). The Cabernet was a bit sour and really did not work for me. The bourbon barrels were the best with BT a little sweeter and HH a bit more woody, if I recall correctly.

I could comment on a few more, but I need my cheat sheet. Really great to bump into you!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

While clearing space in the beer fridge for Thanksgiving goodies, I uncovered a Baltika #9 Extra Lager from...Lord knows when... I thought I drank this in '09 Thick, a little sweet, and enjoyable. The time in the fridge has made it no worse for wear...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Picked up a six of Samuel Adams White Christmas. Not sure about it, yet. It's kind of on the light side. Definitely spicy.

Enthusiast

Inspired by FOBAB, hit the beer cellar up last night. Enjoyed a 2011 Bourbon Barrel Stout from Central Waters, a 2012 Bourbon Barrel Barleywine from Central Waters and a 2012 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.

What Bears loss?