Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

Went to a pretty killer bottle tasting event today. Knocked quite a few off of my must try list:

GI Bourbon County Rare
    The Bruery Black Tuesday
    Westvleteren Blonde
    GI King Henry
    Jolly Pumpkin Grande Reserve Bier de Mars

Plus a Bourbon County '06-'12 vertical and a lot more that ill never remember

Guru

The Black Tuesday is a pretty rare find!

Today I had a Shipyard Pugsley's Signature Series Smashed Blueberry. A stout type beer (the bottle says it is a "Malt Beverage with Natural Flavor) but was a bit disappointing as any suggestion of blueberry required a bit of imagination.

Not likely to try again.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    Plus a Bourbon County '06-'12 vertical and a lot more that ill never remember
    Did you have a favorite from this bunch? I did a '09-'12 vertical with some friends Saturday night and thought the '10 drank the best.

Central Waters just released their 2012 bourbon-barrel aged stout, which spent a full year in the wood (twice as long as previous vintages). Had some Saturday night; can't wait to try against the '11.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Goode Island Christmas Ale in my hotel. Should fortify me enough to brave the cold and head out for dinner in a few minutes.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    Did you have a favorite from this bunch? I did a '09-'12 vertical with some friends Saturday night and thought the '10 drank the best.

Central Waters just released their 2012 bourbon-barrel aged stout, which spent a full year in the wood (t

wice as long as previous vintages). Had some Saturday night; can't wait to try against the '11.
    I would say '07 & '10 stood out. I had an '05 about 6 months ago, it was stellar.

Virtuoso

Well Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale is gone from the shelves here so I had to crack into my stash of about a case. Great stuff.

Disciple

I'm drinking a Red Rock Secale, a rye dopplebock aged in rye barrels from High West (so probably LDI) - very enjoyable. I've bunkered a handful since it's a seasonal and ages well.
    Jim

Guru

Having enjoyed several fine beers from the Tyranena Brewing Company (Wisconsin), I decided to pick up a six-pack of their seasonal Sheep Shagger Scotch Ale yesterday. Maybe it was the fact that I sampled it after drinking two bottles of Founders Dirty Bastard, but the Sheep Shagger just didn't do it for me. And I mean not at all. It had a subtle taste of day old hazelnut coffee and vaguely reminded me of Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown Ale, a beer I absolutely detested from the very first sip. I'll have to give the SS another go tonight to see if my opinion changes any but for now, this one was a real disappointment.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Having enjoyed several fine beers from the Tyranena Brewing Company (Wisconsin), I decided to pick up a six-pack of their seasonal Sheep Shagger Scotch Ale yesterday. Maybe it was the fact that I sampled it after drinking two bottles of Founders Dirty Bastard, but the Sheep Shagger just didn't do it for me. And I mean not at all. It had a subtle taste of day old hazelnut coffee and vaguely reminded me of Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown Ale, a beer I absolutely detested from the very first sip. I'll have to give the SS another go tonight to see if my opinion changes any but for now, this one was a real disappointment.
    They're definitely hit or miss. I enjoyed a Hop Whore IIPA from Tyranena last night. The new year should bring us their Down and Dirty Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, which is a winner in my book.

And speaking of hit or miss, I'm two-thirds of the way through Two Brothers' 15 beers for 15 years series. Enjoyed the Pahoehoe coconut ale well enough last night.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    They're definitely hit or miss. I enjoyed a Hop Whore IIPA from Tyranena last night. The new year should bring us their Down and Dirty Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, which is a winner in my book.

And speaking of hit or miss, I'm two-thirds of the way through Two Brothers' 15 beers for 15 years series. Enjoyed the Pahoehoe coconut ale well enough last night.
    I'll keep an eye out for the Down & Dirty Oatmeal Stout. BTW, Main Street is still well-stocked with Bourbon County. Too bad the damned stuff costs $25 a four pack!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet