Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I used to drink Genny Cream draft in Rochester, NY back in the 70's and 80's. On Goodman and Monroe Streets, in the clubs there. Good drink. It backs a bourbon well, and vice versa. These days I'm more into, say, pumpkin wheat beers , but it's all good in its time and place.

Gary
    We also had Genny 12 Horse Ale suddenly show up here in Chicago this summer as part of a mixed twelve pack. Oddly, the flagship Genny Lager (aka "Red Eye" due to the distinctive label) has yet to be seen.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Autumn for me means it is Pumpkin Ale season in my house! I have scraped together about 8-10 different offerings and so far Southern Tier's Pumking is the leader of the pack. Much more pumpkin taste rather than just pumpkin spice in the typical garden variety pumpkin ale.

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale falls more in the spice dominated category but is a little different in the spices that are emphasized.

Still to come is Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale and Smashed Pumpkin Ale as well as Heavy Seas The Great Pumpkin among others!
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 10-11-2012 at 12:59.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

Got the This One Goes to 11 Ale from Bell's today, looking forward to trying tonight.

http://bellsbeer.com/brands/#Specialty-1

Best regards, Tony

Enthusiast

Had my first can of Ten Fidy imperial stout from Oskar Blues last night.

I'm in love. So roasty yet silky at the same time. I'm suddenly questioning my loyalty to Founder's Breakfast Stout -- having them back to back, the coffee in the FBS seemed really overdone. Note to self: don't mix styles so much during a session.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    Had my first can of Ten Fidy imperial stout from Oskar Blues last night.

I'm in love. So roasty yet silky at the same time. I'm suddenly questioning my loyalty to Founder's Breakfast Stout -- having them back to back, the coffee in the FBS seemed really overdone. Note to self: don't mix styles so much during a session.
    Founder's Breakfast Stout has managed to slip under my radar so far but I'll seek it out before too long now that the cool weather is here to stay. I still haven't tried the Ten Fidy either and must admit that the price puts me off. Nevertheless, I'll be picking some up this weekend due to all the rave reviews.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

A whole bunch of SA Utopias
    Bruery Black Tuesday
    Central Waters Barrel aged Barelywine
    GI BCBS
    Bull and Bush Legend of the Liquid Brain
    Foothills Sexual Chocolate
    3 Floyds Zombie Dust
    Olde Hickory Event Horizon
    Founders KBS
    Bruery Smoking Wood
    Alpine Bad Boy
    Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin
    Russian River Toronado Anniversary Brew
    Brooklyn Black Ops
    Avery Odios Equum & Oud Floris
    Fifty Fifty Eclipse

These were my standouts from GABF 2012. A big night of big beers. I have to say it's kind of odd to see SA pouring Utopias out of a pitcher filled from a keg. I'll take it though. Tonight was a barleywine and stout night for me. With the exception of the zombie dust and the Avery Sours I stayed away from the sours and IPAs this year and am thankful I did.
    Last edited by BradleyC; 10-11-2012 at 23:04.

Virtuoso

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale and also their Chicory Stout. Great beers.

Guru

Got a case of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout on sale yesterday (only $4 per four pack instead of the usual $10). I love this beer!

Virtuoso

Sam Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale that I got as part of a variety 12 pack. Not bad for a pumpkin ale, but not nearly as good as the Dogfish Head Punkin.

Disciple

I'm drinking an Epic Brewing Fest Devious, which could mean any of a number of things... but in this case, it's a wet hop Harvest Ale, made with locally grown hops.

http://www.epicbrewing.com/home/item...vious-release-

Epic is a fairly new brewery that makes exclusively beer that you can't sell in the grocery store in Utah (you know, greater than 4% alcohol.) Here we can only get them in 22 oz bottles, elsewhere I know they sell kegs as well. They make a lot of really good beers, and they're always changing and experimenting.
    Jim