Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Glassware Poll

Voters
267. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blender's Nosing Glass

58 21.72%
  • Scotch whisky or brandy

15 5.62%
  • Riedel scotch

12 4.49%
  • Riedel Bourbon

71 26.59%
  • Brandy, Cognac

38 14.23%
  • Lowball glass

73 27.34%
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Glassware Poll

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Glassware Poll

What is your favourite shape of glass for sampling your favourite (or a new) bourbon, NEAT or with a splash of water (ie. no ice, no mixer). Keep in mind... all-round performance. See below for photo, and additional comments welcome!

Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

Re: Glassware Poll

I've got them all and overall my favorite is the Riedel Bourbon glass. It concentrates everything nice, fits my hand best for the way I like to 'hold' my bourbon, and the price is not too bad for a set of 4 Riedel glasses. Next to the Riedel Bourbon Glass, I find myself using the Blender's Nosing Glass second most often. It really concentrates the aromas beautifully. Third is the Riedel Scotch glass. I find it to be way overpriced in my opinion, and even though thin is in for tasting glasses, I'm just too damn scared of breaking it. But honestly, I find the other glasses concentrate the aromas better and fit more nicely in my hand.

Enthusiast

My vote was also for the Riedel Bourbon glass. My second choice wasn't listed, the Pure Glass from Maison du whisky. My next choice would have been the Glencairn blender's nosing glass. I really think snifters concentrate the aromas too much, but I sometimes use them at bars because they rarely have anything better.

Advanced Taster

I have used almost exclusively a cut-glass lowball glass. However just recently I bought a Riedel glass at "Party Source" in Bellevue,Ky (Cincinnati). it was really cheap...less than 4bucks I believe....have not really tried it yet with a real "quality" bourbon. I might add that the Spiegelau glasses that Jeff talks about are really cool to look at and I may someday spring some money for one of those.

Novice

I just bought 1 Riedel bourbon glass last night on ebay. I had been using a lowball glass but this sounds better. Can't wait till it comes.

Advanced Taster

I have been thinking some about glassware recently and thus thought I might update this ancient thread with my thoughts.

I seem to gravitate towards one of the three kinds of glasses that I keep on hand depending on the situation.

I have a set of Glencairn glasses that I really like and I enjoy sipping bourbon neat from these. This is usually what I reach for on a daily basis.

I also have a set of heavy rocks glasses that I got in a WT101 gift set that I really like. If I am drinking on the rocks or mixed with something, this is usually what I have. I like the heft of the glass.

I saw just a few mentions of shot glasses through this thread and it appears that most folks don't care much for them. I have a set of heavy tapered shot glasses that I like. They are pretty large for a shot glass and have a two oz capacity. I sometimes have a small pour in one of these and do use them on occasion. However I don't care for the smaller, thinner and or shorter shot glasses. Matter of fact just a couple of nights ago I ordered some Don Julio while out for dinner and it was served in a short thin shot glass that I really didn't care for. The place was real busy or I might have asked them to change it.
    Jeff

Give me Bourbon or give me death! ~ Hondo (1982)

Guru

For referance, here are the images of the glasses in question here

Is it posible to vote a poll 1, 2, 3? Like Pick your top three?

I would go Glencairn, Reidel Bourbon, Reidel Scotch on a 1, 2, 3.

Advanced Taster

I have the Modern Marvels "Whiskey" episode on DVR. I watched it this morning just for the purpose of noting which glasses are used for tasting by those featured on the show.

Fred Noe (Jim Beam) used what looked like the Riedel Bourbon Glass. John Hansell (Malt Advocate) was noted using a stemless wine glass (merlot glass?) and what looked like a stemless Scotch glass.

The most prevalent glass just looked like a wine glass, a little smaller maybe, and a thicker stem, but not one of our choices in the poll. These were from scenes at Jack Daniels, Jameson, Glenlevet, etc..

Thought that was interesting. My favorites are a small snifter I got at Jim Beam, and a mini rock glass from Buffalo Trace.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    The most prevalent glass just looked like a wine glass, a little smaller maybe, and a thicker stem, but not one of our choices in the poll. These were from scenes at Jack Daniels, Jameson, Glenlevet, etc..
    These seem to be the tasting glasses used on the distillery floor. Every time I have been served White Dog, or seen it served, or seen a distiller take a taste froma barrel, these mini wine glasses seem to be used. They often have horizontal lines on them.... at least that is my experiance.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    One of my other bad habits is collecting glassware that isn't ashamed of being used. The wine glass used by most blenders and master tasters/distillers is a port copita. These range in size of 6 to 8 oz. I received a pair from Mario Andretti's winery that are 4 oz in size and they are perfect for enjoying a good bourbon as well as certain ports.

I like the port copitas and prefer the smaller ones when tasting only an ounce or two of bourbon. The newer Reidels and Glencairns have the same effect on the nose. I also have many two ounce size glasses to include shot glasses that are great for just pouring a small amount to enjoy without worrying too much about analyzing the spirit.

If I'm serious about exploring a bourbon, I use a glass very similar to a Glencairn except it is very thin crystal and is stemed. It comes with a fitted cap. I pour 25 to 50 ml into the glass, swirl it to check the legs then cap it for no more than a few minutes. This concentrates the aromas for a good nose. After a few notes and a taste, I add a few drops of filtered water to crack the spirit. Swirl, cap, repeat.....After a while I long into this great website and make an ass out of myself and regret it in the morning. That night, swirl, cap, repeat....

I don't begrudge anyone their glass unless its empty.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.