Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Glassware Poll

Voters
267. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blender's Nosing Glass

58 21.72%
  • Scotch whisky or brandy

15 5.62%
  • Riedel scotch

12 4.49%
  • Riedel Bourbon

71 26.59%
  • Brandy, Cognac

38 14.23%
  • Lowball glass

73 27.34%
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Glassware Poll

Connoisseur

Re: Glassware Poll

I was talking about the glass on the right. It just feels "right" to me BUT I have not tried either of the other glasses. Looks like I have research to do (darn it!!! ;-)

Cheers,

Ken

Connoisseur

"Otherwise, it's about 50/50 between the Glencairn and the Riedel. "

Thanks Dave, The Glencairn glass looks alot like the nosing glass I got when we toured the Scotch Malt Whiskey Heritage Center this Spring.... I like it for tasting but it doesn't have quite the volumn I like for 'sipping'. The Reidel glass lookslike it would be kinda small too (just barely larger than my Reidel Tulip glasses). It's a great size for tasting.... just not for drinking IMO.

Cheers,

Ken

Guru

. . . but it doesn't have quite the volumn I like for 'sipping'.
    Ken,

I find that filling the Glencairn glass to just above its widest point makes what I consider a full-sized pour. (YMMV, obviously.) However, sometimes I wish the opening were a little wider. Someone here expressed the same opinion, saying he liked to have room for his nose inside the mouth of the glass as he drank.

Jim Butler posted about a small, roundish, plain-bottom glass a while back, and I thought it looked promising. However, I never got around to trying one. I think I'll try to find that post and put a link here.

Here we go: Notice that this Riedel glass is not footed.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Connoisseur

Dave, I saw that post. Followed up on the Reidel site and found (as was said in that thread further down) that there are several different sizes in the same basic style. I think my local beverage-meister carrys things like this. Maybe I'll pop in on him Friday...... I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers!

Ken

Connoisseur

Hi Dave, well, I did go look at the Reidel "O" series but actually purchased the schott-zwiesel top ten cask aged spirits glass. It's great. I left a more detailed review in the 'Pure Glass by Maison du Whisky' thread. I was a little confused by the way it handled the Laphroaig 10. If anyone has any thoughts on that or opinions on this glass I'd enjoy hearing them.

Cheers,

Ken

Novice

I enjoy using a snifter from time to time, but I personally love a lowball glass. Unfortunately, one out of my set of 4 did not survive a recent move.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I chose the riedel scotch, though I no longer own one (broke three) but my second would be the glencairn (it still lives) haven't tried the bourbon glass yet, and yes I like some others always ask for a snifter when I'm out at a bar

Advanced Taster

I chose the lowball glass, mostly because my other choices at home include wine galsses and regular juice glasses. I'm pretty knew to bourbon being a recent convert from JD and I'm not sure the glass will have an impact on the way I enjoy bourbon. Has anyone changed their choice since they first posted based on trying a new glass type?

Connoisseur

I chose the lowball glass, mostly because my other choices at home include wine galsses and regular juice glasses. I'm pretty knew to bourbon being a recent convert from JD and I'm not sure the glass will have an impact on the way I enjoy bourbon. Has anyone changed their choice since they first posted based on trying a new glass type?
    Welcome to the forum!!

Yes, if you read above I have. Before trying the Schott Zweisel glass (the one in my avatar) I used a lowball glass as well. It was fine but this glass suites my needs better.

Happy hunting,

Ken

Guru

Jay,
    I think the glass makes a big difference. You will find a lot of differing opinions on this site. I'll give you mine:
    Since Bourbon is on par with fine Cognac, and I drink my Bourbon neet (also my Cognac), I prefer a brandy snifter. I find it works well for the way I enjoy bourbon. But, It's all a matter of opinion.
    Joe