Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Glassware Poll

Voters
267. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blender's Nosing Glass

58 21.72%
  • Scotch whisky or brandy

15 5.62%
  • Riedel scotch

12 4.49%
  • Riedel Bourbon

71 26.59%
  • Brandy, Cognac

38 14.23%
  • Lowball glass

73 27.34%
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Glassware Poll

Apprentice

Re: Glassware Poll

I use the blenders glass about 95% of the time I put about 30ml in and let her sit awhile to open up (add a drop or two water sometimes). The other 5% is for very special/rare whisk(e)y and I use the Micheal Jackson taste glass with lid (its #2 with a glass lid)

Virtuoso

Being a Scotch drinker for a good number of years, I use a Glencairn for all whiskies. It has a good sized bowl, and a nice shape that concentrates the nose well enough. I also like the heft of the glass... it doesn't feel like I need to handle it with kid gloves. I do have a favorite crystal highball glass that I like quite bit too. Obviously, it doesn't do much for the nose, but, when I'm "just drinking" I like it for "ease of use".
    Last edited by ebo; 08-08-2009 at 17:23.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MurphyDawg View Post
    I have since got one of those Riedel "Small Batch Bourbon" glasses and despite the fact it looks to the contrary, it really does enhance the bourbonic experience. Sadly the dogs knocked it out of the strainer today and it buster, so I need another one soon.

The glass I would really like to get my hands on to try is the Pure glass by Maison du whisky, as suggested previously in this forum. It looks to me like a great melding of the Old-Fashioned style glass with a more specific, snifter-tasting-style glass. I am really curious about how effective this mutation is.

Tom (Bleah) C
    I really want one of these glasses. I have looked in every store I've been in, and had my wife look wherever she's at... no luck. Do you know where I can get one?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Bamber View Post
    The Scotch malt whisky society glasses are my favourite. Everything seems to taste great out of them even Scotch
    That's because Scotch is great! ...

Connoisseur

I chose low-ball. I actually sip out of an oversized shot-glass from the San Antonio zoo more often. It is rounded like a rocks glass and almost bowl like. Works great and it's about a shot and a half. A couple of those a night and I'm good to go.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I really want one of these glasses. I have looked in every store I've been in, and had my wife look wherever she's at... no luck. Do you know where I can get one?
    Try:
    http://www.amazon.com/Riedel-Ouvertu.../dp/B00021YHP6

or

https://glassware.riedel.com/c-864-o...-bourbon-glass
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Advanced Taster

I always go with the low-ball glass. This is what my Dad always used. I have seen the Riedel bourbon glasses, but hadn't given it much thought. Not sure why, I have a bar full of Riedel wine glasses (over 20 in 4 sizes). I guess I need to buy some Riedel bourbon glasses and give them a try. Until then it is the low-ball glass.

Jim

Advanced Taster

I just can't see the rationalization for buying a crazy expensive glass. Granted I'm a newbie, I don't see how crystal would be better than cheap glass. I do understand shape plays a part. I just got one of these smaller wine tumblers for like $1.39. Sized up next to my collection of pint glasses I got for free for ordering pitchers at the pub.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    Being a Scotch drinker for a good number of years, I use a Glencairn for all whiskies. It has a good sized bowl, and a nice shape that concentrates the nose well enough. I also like the heft of the glass... it doesn't feel like I need to handle it with kid gloves. I do have a favorite crystal highball glass that I like quite bit too. Obviously, it doesn't do much for the nose, but, when I'm "just drinking" I like it for "ease of use".
    My sentiments exactly. I bounce back and forth between a few different Glencairn glasses that I own, but most often use the one that came with the Old Forester Repeal of Prohibition Bourbon. I occasionally use a highball glass at parties or while watching football with my buddies because the likelihood of breaking one of my Glencairns goes up a notch or two due to somewhat heavier consumption of whiskey and beer.

Can someone familiar with both the Glencairn and the Riedel bourbon glasses compare and contrast them for me? I've been meaning to try one of the Riedel glasses but the wider opening on top has prevented me from purchasing one, as I always felt that it would allow more of the nose to escape. Any thoughts?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet