Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Glassware Poll

Voters
267. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blender's Nosing Glass

58 21.72%
  • Scotch whisky or brandy

15 5.62%
  • Riedel scotch

12 4.49%
  • Riedel Bourbon

71 26.59%
  • Brandy, Cognac

38 14.23%
  • Lowball glass

73 27.34%
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Glassware Poll

Advanced Taster

Re: Glassware Poll

I'm the same way....sampling the many bourbons that are still out there is challenging enough for me without adding the glassware variable into the equation. I'd like to purchase the Riedel glassware and the Blender's nosing glass at some future time but right now it's not a major concern.

I do have a couple of brandy snifters that I've occasionally used to sip bourbon but, like Greg, I find that the nose with these glasses is usually overpowering. I hope that when and if I purchase other nosing glasses like the Riedel that these glasses will provide better nosing than the snifters.

I almost always prefer to use my Jack Daniels lowball glass. I guess some here would consider that blasphemous, but I don't really care what's inscribed on the glass; just so long as it doesn't say something stupid like 'War Eagle' or 'AU'. (Had to throw that in since college football is right around the corner!).

Anyway, the JD lowball has thick glass sides and is nicely weighted. I really enjoy it. Strangely, I did not get it at any of the shops in Lynchburg but at some gift shop in a mall several years back. I actually haven't found any lowball glasses of similar quality in Lynchburg.

-Troy

Advanced Taster

I have used almost exclusively a cut-glass lowball glass. However just recently I bought a Riedel glass at "Party Source" in Bellevue,Ky (Cincinnati). it was really cheap...less than 4bucks I believe....have not really tried it yet with a real "quality" bourbon. I might add that the Spiegelau glasses that Jeff talks about are really cool to look at and I may someday spring some money for one of those.

Guru

just so long as it doesn't say something stupid like 'War Eagle' or 'AU'.
    At least you are against the right school.

Tim

Guru

None of those.

Usually, a cut crystal "on the rocks" glass. It is shorter and lighter than your lowball glass.

Often, a similar crystal highball glass.

Sometimes, any glass that is handy.

Tim

Disciple

I use an Old Fashioned Glass to drink bourbon over ice, and a snifter to drink it neat.

TomC

Connoisseur

I picked up a blender's nosing glass at the whiskey expo in San Francisco this spring, and I've been using it a lot since. It's great for concentrating the nose, although yes, at times it can be almost too much, especially with the higher proofs. I also have a lowball glass that I use. I like to flip back and forth between the two...they're both a bit different, in the nose and in the hand, and I like the variety.

The Boss

So y'all know what Robby and me are talking about, addmission fee to the WhiskyExpo in SF this year also got you a glass clone of the GlenCairn style tasting glass.

The problem I have with that particular glass Robby is that it's quite heavy for it's size, and feels very awkward to me. That may seem like a strange thing to say, but the glass feels so "foreign" in my hand it actually detracts from the tasting experience.

Connoisseur

Yes, it is a heavy glass, but that doesn't seem to bother me. Actually, one of my favorite sets of lowball glasses I have are incredibly heavy...they could almost be used as weapons in the event of a bar fight. Maybe I just prefer the hefty glasses....helps build up my biceps as I'm downing the Van Winkle...

Administrator in exile

I agree with Dave here The Rare Breed glass has become my favorite "drinking" glass. Tappered at the top to concentrate the nose and thick and heavy on the bottom. Got a set "free" with a christmas bottle of Rare Breed. Unfortunately I broke one and now they're nowhere to be found. I hope to see more of these around the holidays.

Advanced Taster

Re: Glassware Poll (another option)

in 2001 at the Buffalo Trace tasting, they had these glasses that were more or less port glasses but they had Buffalo Trace printed on them and 2 white lines going around the outside of the glass (reminded me of the lines on the glasses in the bars england that they fill to)... If you look at the small batch bourbon glass it is more or less a midget port glass.. same bowl with a nonexistant stem... in any case, they are nice glasses to drink from... Altho it is a very minor thing, i think that they make the bourbon look more pleasing than just a rocks glass, and sometimes it is nice to just enjoy small things like that after a crap day at work...

They're a pain in the ass to clean (i hear dishwasher=bad for them) , but the ridel sommoliers port glasses are a nice thing sometimes for that 20 pappy or hirsch... I don't know if i would buy them just for bourbon, but they are a nice dual-use item...

-chris