Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Wheated vs. Non-Wheated, Comprehensive List?

Hi folks--New to the forum, but have been reading with much enjoyment over the past week. My experience with bourbon has been a gradual appreciation over the last 11 years. An avid homebrewer of beer, my bourbon experiences were usually relegated to visits with the in-laws as my wife's father is a bourbon drinker. While his tastes are notably far from the top shelf (Ezra Brooks being among his everyday bourbons), over the years I have managed to bring a bottle of a wide variety of bourbons that he would never have forked over the asking price for at the store. As such, we've both enjoyed a great deal of bourbons that neither one of us may have ever gotten, as I wasn't prone to keeping bourbon around the house as my wife prefers single malt Scotch. Uncharacteristically, while most other homebrewers tend to favor scotch with as much zeal as they do their beer, I prefer that little something extra that bourbon provides, just a little rougher around the edges but definitely with more character in my opinion.
    Now, introductions aside, I *think* my palate tends to side on the wheated bourbon argument as some of the bourbons I've had tend to be such (Maker's, etc.). So, is there or could somebody provide for me some sort of a list of bourbons that are wheated along with commentary and those that are not? I've been trying a different bourbon each time and I think I can tell which tastes wheated, but I'm not sure. I'd like to be able to keep a mental list when I'm at the liquor store and perhaps get a couple for comparison tastings.
    I'm also open to suggestion and opinion. This is a great forum for such.
    J. Rocco

J. Rocco
    CT Shoreline, USA

Advanced Taster

Re: Wheated vs. Non-Wheated, Comprehensive List?

J. Rocco,
    Welcome to the forum!

Follows is a list of wheated bourbons that I am aware of in addition to the Maker's Mark that you mentioned:
    1.) All of the W.L. Weller and Old Fitzgerald bottlings
    2.) Rebel Yell
    3.) David Nicholson 1843
    4.) Most of the bourbons bottled by Julian Van Winkle (he can provide the details)
    5.) Virginia Gentleman

There may be others, but these are the ones that I am aware of. I too enjoy wheated bourbons, but please don't limit yourself to just these brands. There are too many other good bourbons out there.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Bill
    http://home.kc.rr.com/mashbill/

Enthusiast

Hello. Julius. Even thou they have already been mentioned . If you tend to like wheated Bourbons please do try the 15yr Vanwinkle 107 Proof the new 20yr Payy Reserve also by Julian and do try the Weller Centenial 10yr Old. All are excellent. I have not personally tried the 12yr Old Vso Fitz I have heard it's excellent. Enjoy. creggor.

Advanced Taster

Welcome Julius!
    You've came to the right place because these people are encyclopedias of bourbon knowledge.try them all!---Life is good.-Den

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Bill,

I believe you are wrong about Virginia Gentleman. Otherwise your list is solid. Since there are now three companies producing wheated bourbon (Maker's, Heaven Hill and Buffalo Trace), up from two, we may see even more wheaters in the future.

--Chuck Cowdery

Advanced Taster

Chuck,

The following line comes directly from A. Smith Bowman's website describing their Virginia Gentleman Bourbon:

"Made from the finest corn, wheat, and malted barley"

Of course, not everything we see on the web is the truth......

Bill

The Boss

Watch it there Creggor. You start talking about Weller Centennial being an excellent bourbon, and Linn will come down on you like the wrath of God.
    So for the record, I think Weller Centennial is most excellent. Y'all hear that? Say it over and over whilst imbibing same .... most excellent.

Cheers,

Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com

Advanced Taster

Chuck,
    I forgot to mention....
    I hope you're right about seeing more wheaters in the future. Of course we'll have to wait a few years to see how they turn out [IMG]/wwwthreads/images/frown.gif[/IMG]

Bill

Advanced Taster

Creggor,
    Jim is right, it's best not to mention the Weller "C" word in Linn's company. I'm going to hide now, before he sees it.

Bill

Enthusiast

Hello, Guys. I am sure Linn would rather have Weller Centenial than Makers Mark. Weller Centenial is one of my big time favorites along with Vanwinkle 15yr. The Weller 19yr Of the Antique Collection is real good. It does not quite stack up to Weller Centenial and Julians 15yr. Buffalo Trace will be having more Antique Collections bottled later this year. This gives you the chance to try some really good aged Whiskeys all from the same Distiller. If your really into good Whiskey have your mate get you a bottle each of this years. !8yr Sazerac Rye, 19yr Weller and 17yr Eagle Rare. I know the distributor here in Florida. I was told they have an order for 200 cases of each of this years bottling. They have 3 bottle shipper cases. I suggested to Ken Weber they package some of these shipper cases with a bottle of each. What a nice Christmas present for my kids to give me. Now all we all have to rag on Linn and get him to be a convert. Linn go get some 15yr Vanwinkle and 10yr Weller Centenial. Heck if we ever have the chance to get together I will supply these for ya. Creggor.