Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What did you pass up today? Autumn '12

When it comes to whisky brands people will believe what they want and don't like being given the facts.

Guru

Which is sad, because it may even be a good to great whiskey, but I'm going to need to know a little bit more about it before taking a chance with that kind of cash.

Virtuoso

I passed the whole damn store I planned to stop at due to a scene down the street that looked like an old-fashioned bank run. Out of curiosity that it might just be that very thing, I went to investigate. It was the local gun store. I intended to turn around and head back to the package store but traffic was too heavy. Oh well, maybe tomorrow...
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Three new and different bottlings of Willett 21 yo @ $155.

One of the clerks did inform me however that it was bourbon that Willett had distilled, the first of their own stuff. Clever folks churning out a 21 yo in the short amount of time they've been actively distilling again.
    I hope you told the clerk, in no uncertain terms, to f**k himself. Whether he was merley uninformed or flat out lying, he tried to peddle something expensive by misrepresenting what it was - I have no tolerance for used car salesman tactics.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 12-19-2012 at 20:24.

Guru

Nah, I just passed it on up the ladder. Wouldn't have done any good for me to try and talk to him.

Connoisseur

You're a better man than me, Dram.

I have a feeling that with the exploding popularity of bourbon, coupled with the lack of knowledge by the masses, that the breadth of disinformation and shady business practices will only grow - unfortunatley, it is because those tactics work.

Connoisseur

...after my last post, I had a sudden urge to drink Michter's - in the spirit of this thread, I passed.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 12-19-2012 at 20:58.

Guru

Now that's the sort of self restraint I respect.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    Funny, I didn't have any issues with it, I was online and ready to go as they began uploading them. I selected the GTS and the WLW and immediately proceeded to checkout and my order showed up at my door about 5 days later. No issues. I don't care either way, but as a customer of their's from out of state I was happy they extended the offer.
    There was a glitch that I and some other people experienced wherein bottles that sold out couldn't be removed from the shopping cart and prevented checking out altogether. In the time it took me to select a WLW and GTS and then go to checkout the WLW sold out, but I couldn't remove it from my cart. It took a few minutes to be able to check out and I luckily squeaked out with the GTS.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Three new and different bottlings of Willett 21 yo @ $155.

One of the clerks did inform me however that it was bourbon that Willett had distilled, the first of their own stuff. Clever folks churning out a 21 yo in the short amount of time they've been actively distilling again.

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    I hope you told the clerk, in no uncertain terms, to f**k himself. Whether he was merley uninformed or flat out lying, he tried to peddle something expensive by misrepresenting what it was - I have no tolerance for used car salesman tactics.
    While I am sure their are instances of "used car salesmanship" in some stores I am beginning to think that at the store level a lot of it is primarily just ignorance and acceptance of the pablum fed to them by the distributors (and possibly the producers). The store staff certainly ought to know better and in many stores they do. I tend to gravitate to stores where the staff I deal with have demonstrated a modicum of knowledge about their product and also know when to say "I don't know" and then try to further educate themselves.

But they do face an onslaught of products and keeping up I know must be a chore! The distributors really ought to be doing a better job too, and some do, but I suppose in the end they are just trying to move product and make a living. if bending the facts helps them do that (and the store staff hasn't done their homework) then there is always going to be some people who will do that.

I still feel much of the blame ultimately rests with industry and the consumer as a whole. Industry should do a better job of policing themselves and making sure the truth about the product is out there. But unless we the consumers put adequate pressure on them to do so it just isn't going to happen in most cases, especially if there is no profit in it and some potential for harm.

The enthusiast crowd has the knowledge for the most part but is small in the grand scheme of things and has a hard time cracking through the wall of general blissful ignorance that makes up the average consumer to then bring some pressure to bear on the industry.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 12-20-2012 at 09:44.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum