Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What did you pass up today? Autumn '12

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    Petrel800, was that the wheater you tried?
    Yes, it was the one with the wheat grains on the label, so I believe so. I would hope they didn't put a rye bourbon in a bottle with wheat grains on it. Please forgive my ignorance on the V17, I've read about it here and it was one that I had never had before, so I went ahead and tried it while I had the chance.

Looked like the one in this picture . . . http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1050792

I enjoyed it at dinner, but after everything I bought, I just couldn't bring myself to drop $75 on it. I'm also expecting an order to come in this week, so I'm reluctant to drop more dollars until I know exactly what I'm on the hook for.

I also found a Vintage 23 Rye on my travels, but it was in the $140 range and I wasn't going to drop that on a bottle of bourbon I'd never tried.

Enthusiast

Passed on a RR 25yr, Hirsch 25yr Rye, BMH 16 and PHC Golden Anniversary, all in the $150 - $225 range, JUST a bit outside of my range right now. If I go back for any it would the BMH first and the RR second. For now I'm holding out to scoop up some current tasty releases if I spot any.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    Yes, it was the one with the wheat grains on the label, so I believe so. I would hope they didn't put a rye bourbon in a bottle with wheat grains on it.
    FYI, it's the same line art they use on all of the "Vintage" line; the Vintage Ryes use it too. Visually there's not that much difference between rye and wheat anyway (or barley for that matter), at least not to the point that you could tell them apart on a simple line drawing like that. For what it's worth I think the three ears on the left are wheat and the ones on the right might be rye, but it doesn't really matter. I suppose someone could ask Drew Kulsveen to clarify, he's always been a font of information.

The reason he asked is there have been two (that we know of) versions of VB17, one wheated and one ryed. I've tasted neither but I imagine they're fairly divergent in profile.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

Passed up lots of great bourbon yesterday and regretting not snagging a bottle of Don Julio Anejo that was on sale for $45.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

GTS, Ritt 25 and 23, WT Tradition, OWA 7, WSR 7

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    FYI, it's the same line art they use on all of the "Vintage" line; the Vintage Ryes use it too. Visually there's not that much difference between rye and wheat anyway (or barley for that matter), at least not to the point that you could tell them apart on a simple line drawing like that. For what it's worth I think the three ears on the left are wheat and the ones on the right might be rye, but it doesn't really matter. I suppose someone could ask Drew Kulsveen to clarify, he's always been a font of information.

The reason he asked is there have been two (that we know of) versions of VB17, one wheated and one ryed. I've tasted neither but I imagine they're fairly divergent in profile.
    Interesting, either way, I do believe it was the wheated one, it certainly did not have the spicy kick of a rye bourbon (the one at the restaurant that I tried).

As for what I passed up, based off of what you wrote, I have no idea which one it was now. Could have been either, I assumed it was the same thing I had at the restaurant.

Connoisseur

I hoped, since I have a bottle of the wheater VB17, you could give a first impression description. Was it $55 good? [Yeah, I'm really stuck on valuation - but I'm converting from Scotch partly due to excessive valuations.]
    Last edited by MauiSon; 10-09-2012 at 13:15.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    I hoped, since I have a bottle of the wheater VB17, you could give a first impression description. Was it $55 good? [Yeah, I'm really stuck on valuation - but I'm converting from Scotch partly due to excessive valuations.]
    If you want to quantify it, my personal opinion is it $65 good.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Advanced Taster

JPS 17. $99 unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by bgageus View Post
    GTS, Ritt 25 and 23, WT Tradition, OWA 7, WSR 7
    How much was that WT Tradition ? You may want to reconsider that move Scott (Callmeox) and I popped a cork on one on Wednesday night of the KBF. We drank somewhere between a 1/4 and 1/3 of that bottle that night. That bottle did not make it through the week people liked it that well. Very few bottles get drained at the gazebo just because there are so many when one does it speaks highly of it.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.