Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 28 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

My whiskey glass runneth over!

2x GTS
    2x WLW
    2x Saz18
    1x THH
    2x PHC 6th
    1x FRSmB 2012
    1x Willett 18 139 proof

Honestly, the last month's haul of fancy bourbon will last me until next year. Someone slap me if I come back to this thread anytime soon.

Connoisseur

Went into mainly a wine store that carries a few spirits and they had a couple Old Weller Antiques 7 year 107 proof. First age statement OWA I've seen in the wild, so I brought one home to compare to the OWA I have that does not have an age statement. Being a novice when it comes to old versions of this brand, I'm pretty positive this is a Buffalo Trace OWA since the label shows the alcohol percentage and states it was distilled and bottled in Frankfort. If there is something else I should be looking at, let me know.

Went back and grabbed the last Saz18 I left on my local liquor stores shelf on Saturday....I find it odd that I am the only person who has bought any of their BTAC stuff.. the shelves still had 6 staggs and 3 each of THH, WLW and ER17

Disciple
    Distilled in Frankfort = BT.
    Even knowing that, it could be of varying quality depending on how recent a bottling it is. Many people think that OWA went downhill for a while before the age statement was removed. To my taste, OWA got noticeably better when they removed the age statement. Hard to say whether it's still better now though.
    Jim

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Distilled in Frankfort = BT.
    Even knowing that, it could be of varying quality depending on how recent a bottling it is. Many people think that OWA went downhill for a while before the age statement was removed. To my taste, OWA got noticeably better when they removed the age statement. Hard to say whether it's still better now though.
    Anyway to tell the age from the label and bottle? I'm mildly interested to know. The shop owner said he had the bottles since before he moved to his new location which would have been sometime around 06 or 07.

Connoisseur

I picked up several bottles of Elijah Craig 18 year for $25 each. Turns out that NC stores have it on clearance.

Connoisseur

It's tough pinning the date down on the OWA's. You can look at bottle dates, and see if there is something there on the bottom. Also, look for a printed code on the bottle somewhere, usually in black ink small type.

I like the OWA's from the early 2000's, up till about '04. Then the NAS second, and finally the OWA from '04-NAS.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I picked up several bottles of Elijah Craig 18 year for $25 each. Turns out that NC stores have it on clearance.
    Whoa, where is NC was this? Haven't seen any in Wake County in months.

Disciple
    My remaining OWA 7 year has a date stamp in the bottom of it. Have a look and see if yours does. The date is much less prominent than all the other numbers/letters on the bottom of the bottle.

This would give you a lower limit as to when it was bottled. There's no way to know the bottling date for sure though.

Like Young Blacksmith said, there's also a dot matrix code on my bottle. It's faint and hard to read but I don't know if that is just my bottle. If there's one of those on yours, it will tell you the day and year the bottle was made, again that's just a lower limit on bottling date.
    Last edited by HighInTheMtns; 11-01-2012 at 16:40.
    Jim

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    Anyway to tell the age from the label and bottle? I'm mildly interested to know. The shop owner said he had the bottles since before he moved to his new location which would have been sometime around 06 or 07.
    On the top left hand corner of the label, pre. 2003ish bottles have the bottle no. field still visible but not filled in. If that's not there the. It's probably a post 2003 bottling.