Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 36 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 873
  1. #351
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    346

    Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

    EW SB 97. There was a bottle of 98 there too, will grab that soon.

  2. #352
    Taster
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    60

    Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

    OGD BIB, I really enjoyed a pour last night!

  3. #353
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Old Original SW
    Posts
    1,001

    Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

    Saz Jr x 2, opened 1, stored the other
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

  4. #354
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Markham, ONT
    Posts
    490

    Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by DPPSmoker View Post
    ... tell them about the $199 price for the VWFRR. They are attempting to deal with price gouging issues and they want to hear from their customers.
    Increase the supply to match demand and ... presto ... the price "gouging" will end.

  5. #355
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northville, MI
    Posts
    1,263
    Quote Originally Posted by DPPSmoker View Post
    If you have a facebook account, post a message to Old Rip Van Winklle and tell them about the $199 price for the VWFRR. They are attempting to deal with price gouging issues and they want to hear from their customers.
    Thanks for pointing this out, I have posted there and will send an email to them.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #356
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    Posts
    460

    Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by DPPSmoker View Post
    If you have a facebook account, post a message to Old Rip Van Winklle and tell them about the $199 price for the VWFRR. They are attempting to deal with price gouging issues and they want to hear from their customers.
    Several independent shops I've talked to in SD have told me that the only way they can get a Van Winkle bottle is by purchasing say $3000 worth of crap vodka from their distributor. The expense associated with obtaining the VW is one of the major factors in these ridiculous prices I have seen. Of course the other major factor is they are sometimes able to actually sell a PVW20 for $400.
    One guy I talked to said he would never again bother with getting a VW for a customer as he was still sitting on 10 of the 12 cases of vodka he had to purchase two years earlier.
    Do you think the Van Winkles would be interested in what these distributors are doing?

  7. #357
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    888

    Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Increase the supply to match demand and ... presto ... the price "gouging" will end.
    Yes, they should just move the lever at the instantaneous bourbon production/aging/tasting facility to "OVERDRIVE." Or take the tanked product and just use science to multiply it.

    Seriously, though. If they do that, quality goes down. Part of what makes these releases special is that they are selected for outstanding qualities.

  8. #358
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    888

    Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

    On topic, picked up another WLW, Saz18, and ER17. This store usually gets them late, but only $65, so I try to hold out a bit.

  9. #359
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    400

    Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by savagehenry View Post
    Several independent shops I've talked to in SD have told me that the only way they can get a Van Winkle bottle is by purchasing say $3000 worth of crap vodka from their distributor. The expense associated with obtaining the VW is one of the major factors in these ridiculous prices I have seen. Of course the other major factor is they are sometimes able to actually sell a PVW20 for $400.
    One guy I talked to said he would never again bother with getting a VW for a customer as he was still sitting on 10 of the 12 cases of vodka he had to purchase two years earlier.
    Do you think the Van Winkles would be interested in what these distributors are doing?
    I've heard the same story in LA. The place said they stopped carrying it a few years ago because they can't move all the crap vodka they have to buy. They quoted similar dollar amounts too. I don't blame them, I wouldn't carry it either.

  10. #360
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Commonwealth of KY
    Posts
    3,156

    Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

    Grabbed 1 each...

    EW 1B 2001
    CEHT SmB BiB
    11 yr Willett
    VWFRR

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What Bourbon Did You Purchase today? - Summer 2012
    By jcg9779 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 603
    Last Post: 09-28-2012, 12:10
  2. What Bourbon did you purchase today? - Fall 2011
    By jcg9779 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 503
    Last Post: 12-25-2011, 13:05
  3. What bourbon did you purchase today? Fall 2010
    By CaptainQ in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 455
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 06:26
  4. What Bourbon did you purchase today? Fall 2009
    By hectic1 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 515
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 21:23
  5. What bourbon did you purchase today? (Fall '07)
    By mgilbertva in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 443
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 17:26

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top