Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 72 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

Well, one of my connections hooked me up with a PVW 15 a few weeks ago. I said that was it, no search this fall. But then an email from another store today and I wind up with a lot B. I'm so easily persuaded!

Novice

Today, a JPS18 store selected barrel. Really nice stuff.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Are you a restaurant owner?
    If not, how long is it going to take you to drink 55/56 bottles of (mostly) high proof alcohol?
    No, I'm not a restaurant owner. I have no idea how long it will take to drink these or others in my bunker. I certainly don't intend to drink all of them myself. I'll probably give away 4 or 5 of the Staggs, some Pappy 20, some Weller, at least one of the WTKS and some of the others as gifts this year. I just listed what I purchased, I didn't really break down what is going in the bunker vs. what I'm giving to or picked up for other people. I don't know that any of the members here with 200-300+ bottles or more in their bunkers ever intend to drink all of it themselves. It seems highly unlikely. I have friends to help me and (hopefully) decades to work on it when I retire, so I intend to give it my best shot!

My bunker was maybe 10 bottles until five or six years ago when things like Pappy started to be harder to find. Yeah, I had one Weller Cent, one A.H Hirsch, one Michters Sour Mash 101 left from the 80's, a couple of DSP 16 Old Fitz. etc. There really wasn't a great reason to bunker quantity when stuff like PVW sat on the shelf for weeks or months after the release. I started bunkering Pappy in 08-09 and now that the BTAC seems to be going the way of Pappy and getting much harder to find, I decided this year to bunker more than one or two bottles. I don't want to have to chase down this stuff three years from now if the BTAC will be like Pappy is today. Just put a few extra bottles in the bunker while it is possible to find. Hell, if you have extra Stagg or Weller, you can always find someone to give it to who will appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
    Congratulations portugieser & welcome aboard. It was a scant few years ago when I started on this yellow brick premium bourbon road and, trust me, you are in for one hell of a ride. It seems like I find a new "all-time-favorite" every week. There's some delicious stuff in that 70-90 range .. and you'll be happy to know that there is some pretty near as good in the $30 range. You'll also find new friends and plenty of company to share in your new finds. Enjoy!
    Cheers
    Many thanks! Yes, there's lots of good stuff in the $30 range, with the Weller 12 and Elmer T. Lee being my personal favorites. Funny thing is, I'm now wondering if I should "bunker" some of the Weller in light of a comment I saw here that it might be discontinued by BT. I also can grab another bottle of Stagg now which might be a good idea if it becomes like PVW in the next few years (i.e., moves from "hard to find" to "nearly impossible to find"). Of course, bunkering anything comes with the risk that my good wife will think that I've completely lost it.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by portugieser View Post
    Of course, bunkering anything comes with the risk that my good wife will think that I've completely lost it.
    The first rule of bunkering is never to discuss said bunkering with your wife. The second rule of bunkering is to hide as much of said bunkering from your wife as possible. I follow both rules--now, I can only hide the liquor boxes filled with bottles so much, especially when 1.75L Eagle Rare bottles are sticking out of some of them, but I do my best.

As to bunkering Weller 12, whether or not it will or won't be discontinued (or at the very least in short supply), I think it is a very worthy candidate for bunkering when you have access to it. It is simply not widely available, and a great bourbon for the price. I have about 5 bottles bunkered, which is actually worth more since I generally blend it with OWA.

Advanced Taster

Just scored a bottle of PVW20 at a local store for just a few bucks over suggested retail. Still can't believe it. Didn't think I was going to get one this year--most stores in the area have either a 2+ year wait list or are price gouging crazy ($250+ for it).

Connoisseur

Snagged another WLW '12 release today. Paid 84 plus tax, a little high, but one that is not found easily, so I caved at 84.

travelled down south to the oilfield and stopped by a small town liquor store just to see what they might have. PHC 2011.jpgfound a PHC 2011 5th edition and snapped it up....

Quote Originally Posted by smahoo View Post
    travelled down south to the oilfield and stopped by a small town liquor store just to see what they might have. PHC 2011.jpgfound a PHC 2011 5th edition and snapped it up....
    Wow - great find. Enjoy.

Guru

Picked up several bottles of the 2012 OF Birthday Bourbon. Seems just about perfect as a Christmas gift for several bourbon drinking friends who tried it recently at my home and seemed to like it.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum